AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
16.11.09 18:13:57
To: mitchell65

I am burning movies, not photos. Anyway I am now suspecting that my dvd player is incomptabile with the type dvd disc I am using. I am using dual layer +R discs. I started burning movies for personal use recently. This because I got sick of buying new ones, and some faceless burglar broke in and stole all mine. I still buy dvd's, but try to make a backup copy immediately incase my burglar strikes again. Any suggestions on compatability of disc issues appreciated, thank you. If any more comments feel free to add.
16.11.09 18:29:32

I am considering either buying a pc to tv convertor to watch the movies, which may or may not be good quality. Or: am considering purchasing a new dvd player that claims to be compatabile with dual layer +R discs on packaging. Either way I go, a risk occurs that whatever I try will be about as good of quality as something that comes out of a gum ball machine. Packaging materials always promise results, much like preelected politicians. Once the packaging is opened, is another matter. If you have any further suggestions mitchell 65, please reply.
Experienced User
17.11.09 01:46:18
To: hicksbryan9

It looks like your DVD player is not compatible with dual layer discs. Try taking one of your discs to a store that sell dual layer players and ask them to try your disc. If they are keen to sell you a player thay may well help. Worth a try anyway. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.
18.11.09 08:07:52

Hello mitchell, guess what? I went to wal-mart and bought a new dvd player that said it supported dual layer disks, saved the receipt and went home and tried it. IT Worked!!! There is no more skipping and I have found the answer. But I cannot play my discs at any friends house, since they have the older type dvd players that are not compatable. I was wondering if you knew how to compress a 7900 mb movie to a standard 4.7 gb disc, so I do not have to use dual layer discs. Any suggestions appreciated. This will save money as well, for the standard discs are way less expensive. When you compress it down, does it cut into quality?
Experienced User
18.11.09 08:25:42
hicksbryan9:

I was wondering if you knew how to compress a 7900 mb movie to a standard 4.7 gb disc, When you compress it down, does it cut into quality?

The only way to compress the video more is to reduce the bitrate. You are probably on 6000 or 7000. This can be reduced to 4000 or less but you wil lloose a lot of quality. Why not split the video into two. Volumn 1 and Volumn 2. Looks quite professional and 2 stndard DVD's are still cheaper the a dual layer.
Experienced User
18.11.09 08:40:03
hicksbryan9:

When you compress it down, does it cut into quality?

Have just done a quick calculation and if you reduced the size by the amopunt necessary to fit a standard DVD it would IMHO make the video virtually un-viewable, if there is such a word!
22.11.09 08:07:15

Ok, how do I split the movie into two volumes? Good idea. Staff at avs is trying to tell me to use different software than avs dvd copy. Use OS to play a movie first, then AVS disc creator. Why this route?
Experienced User
22.11.09 09:04:13
hicksbryan9:

Ok, how do I split the movie into two volumes? Good idea. Staff at avs is trying to tell me to use different software than avs dvd copy. Use OS to play a movie first, then AVS disc creator. Why this route?

I have no idea what route "Staff at AVS" are referring to but they are the "Experts". Personally I would just split your video somewhere near the middle that looks to you like a convenient place and put "To be continued in Volumn two" or some such title. Then start the second video with "Continued from Volumn one" and then make two independent DVD's.
Administrator
23.11.09 03:13:41
hicksbryan9:
Ok, how do I split the movie into two volumes? Good idea.
You can split a DVD into two discs in AVS Video Converter. Import VIDEO_TS.IFO, set To DVD, choose output preset (ex, Good Quality) and click Convert Now. You will get a new window immediately asking whether you would like to split the movie into two discs (see screenshot attached). After the conversion is finished you will be able to burn the discs straightaway.

hicksbryan9:
Staff at avs is trying to tell me to use different software than avs dvd copy. Use OS to play a movie first, then AVS disc creator. Why this route?
This was a recommendation to your previous problem already resolved.

Best regards
Attached files:
63.32 KB
26.11.09 05:26:52
To: nadin

I am not able to burn discs at all. The burner ruins one disc after another, the blanks. I am spending more on blanks than anyone alive. My method previously worked, but not now. I save a movie to hard drive in file mode (dvd decryptor), then burn using avs dvd copy, somewhere in the middle it quits on me, ruining the blank disc. What should I do? I read to play a movie using Os, what is that?
Administrator
26.11.09 06:09:53
hicksbryan9:
I am not able to burn discs at all. The burner ruins one disc after another, the blanks.
Does this happen no matter which program you use?
If so, probably your burner does not function properly, try cleaning up its head.

hicksbryan9:
I save a movie to hard drive in file mode (dvd decryptor), then burn using avs dvd copy, somewhere in the middle it quits on me, ruining the blank disc.
Do you get any error? Please could you attach a screenshot of the interface showing the error message.

You can also try burning the movies saved on your hard disc using AVS Disc Creator. Choose burn DVD movie option and import VIDEO_TS folder into the program for burning.

hicksbryan9:
I read to play a movie using Os, what is that?
Obviously, the following was meant: find VIDEO_TS saved on your hard disc and try to play VIDEO_TS.IFO file to make sure that the movie plays correctly.

Regards
26.11.09 07:37:04
I am in the middle of a burn attempt now. I do not get an error message, it just quits. On my third or 4th attempt, It burns succesfully. I explored AVs disc creator, and it did not have a burn dvd movie option. It had a copy dvd option. Is that it? It seems the avs disc creator is for photos, not movies, unless I find the right button to click. Where is it. Thanks for all help so far. By the way, your human photo looks better than the cartoon character below. I understand I can burn with AVS video convertor too? I guess the only way I am going to learn this is trial and error. I am using dual layer discs, the most expensive. If I am going to chew up discs, I think I should use +rw, so that way I can rewrite over it after it is destroyed.
Specifically when the computer stops burning is when it is the burning stage, and just stops when task bar reaches exactly 70 percent, or in between stages of completion, it just locks, and quits. This is a brand new Dell inspiron laptop I am using, and I protect it well.
26.11.09 08:42:38
Nadin:
I tried Avs video creator, and it would not let me import a file from the hard drive. It was not clear which icon to click. I tried to import, and it just did not work. Same way with video convertor. Now AVS dvd copy is working fine. It completes a disc half the time, and other half of time, ruins it. No error message is displayed. Can I split the volume in two on avs dvd copy? Same question goes to Mitchell65.
26.11.09 08:43:54
Correction neither AVS disc creator or video convertor would let me import a movie from hard drive, it instead wants to focus on a file.
Experienced User
26.11.09 10:18:29

Sorry been away from my PC for a few days and can only get back here now and again. Didn't fully understand your last post, wasn't sure what you meant by "would let me import a movie from hard drive, it instead wants to focus on a file" A "movie" is a file after all in this context. However, have you managed to save the two folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS to your hard drive? If you have can you play the "IFO" file to see if your video looks OK? If you have these two folders then the easy way to burn then to a DVD is to use a software like Nero or Roxio that came with your DVD writer and choose "Create Data DVD" Then just choose those two folders and it will prodce a working DVD. Well that's the way I always use and I haven't lost more than 2 DVD's in a hundred blanks!
Experienced User
26.11.09 10:31:36
hicksbryan9
HAve just read throught his thread agai and seem to have lost track a bit.
Have you managed to split the video in two yet? If so have you got two separate Sets of AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders?
Administrator
27.11.09 05:50:47
hicksbryan9:
I do not get an error message, it just quits. On my third or 4th attempt, It burns succesfully.
Are you sure the discs are not defected? Try using discs from another manufacturer and burning at the lowest speed. As a rule, there is always a number of corrupted discs in every brand new DVD package.

hicksbryan9:
I explored AVs disc creator, and it did not have a burn dvd movie option. It had a copy dvd option. Is that it? It seems the avs disc creator is for photos, not movies, unless I find the right button to click. Where is it.
Please note the screenshots attached. You need to select Burn DVD-Video Files option, browse for VIDEO_TS saved on your hard disc, import it into the program and start burning.

hicksbryan9:
I understand I can burn with AVS video convertor too?
Yes, you can. The internal burner will be launched when you convert to DVD as soon as the conversion process is finished.

hicksbryan9:
Can I split the volume in two on avs dvd copy? Same question goes to Mitchell65.
This is possible in AVS Video Converter only. Use the instruction provide in my post above.

Regards
Attached files:
06.12.09 10:03:54
Well, I have been having most success with AVS DVd Copy. The other programs, I struggled with and gave up. I still burn on dual layer discs, which gets expensive. Yeah my computer is still ruining the blanks, this time the ratio is 3 good movies made and 1-2 ruined discs. How do you slow the speed down of the burn, Nadin? On AvS dvd copy, how do you slow the burn? And yes, I had the same problem with ruining blanks using MagicDVDcopier a few weeks ago, same exact problem. I am going nuts. How are you doing Mitchell? I am using good quality blanks, memorex Dvd +r dl
07.12.09 07:53:42

Unfortunately, there is no option to change speed when copying discs with AVS DVD Copy. I will suggest our developers add this feature in the next version of the program. In any case, AVS DVD Copy select those speed for burning which is definitly supported by your blank disc. Perhaps, there were several defected blanks in the package, that is why both programs MagicDVDcopier and AVS DVD Copy failed to burn several discs.

Best regards.
15.12.09 14:31:13
It is hard to beleive that memorex ( a good name) is producing defective discs. What brand do you suggest then? Also: If I pop in a standard 4.7 g disk to burn a 7.7 g movie, will it automatically condense it with AVS dvd copy?
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  335