AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
Lex
Administrator
15.03.12 12:05:34
To: johnblox

Hello,

Please specify whether there are the artifacts on your original file. Specify what audio parameters you apply to the video.

Best regards.
15.03.12 14:50:22
To: Lex
No Artifacts on original file OR converted file with no audio filters.

Audio settings for conversion are:-
Audio Codec: MPEG 2/4 Audio
Sample Rate: 48khz Size:16 bit
Bitrate: 128kbps
Channels: Stereo

Normalisation: various attempts with bias on/off and using normalisation of 100%, 95%, 90%, 80%, 49%

I would guess you could pick ANY avi or dvd file, add the normalisation filter and preview a part where there is (supposed to be) silence and you will hear this horrible noise kick in (attack approx 2s). Here is a sample of the last 30s of a file which exhibits the problem in the last 5s (navigate 28s into file and preview it with normalisation on), but also listening to the rest of it you can hear a pumping like from heavy compression/limiting.
Attached files:
3634 KB
Lex
Administrator
16.03.12 07:30:17

Hello,

Note, when you apply the normalize effect all noises get louder. If you just want to increase the sound of the video we advise you to use the Amplify effect.

Best regards.
16.03.12 14:57:33
To: Lex
Use Amplify? That's obviously not going to work. I'd have to go through each file one at a time, manually analysing to find it's current peak value then apply an amplification to bring it up to say -1db, which is exactly what normalise is 'supposed' to do. Did you try the sample I attached, or try any file, normalise is not useable as it doesn't normalise it destroys. Are you sure the right code is being invoked as it's limiting or compressing the audio, definately not normalising it.
Lex
Administrator
19.03.12 07:16:08

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is peculiarity of the Normalize effect. When you apply it there is always noise in the silence.

Best regards.
19.03.12 09:56:51
Lex:

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is peculiarity of the Normalize effect. When you apply it there is always noise in the silence.

Best regards.

OK, You clearly do not know what a normalise effect is actually supposed to do, despite my re-explaining it over and over. Yours is a very strange response I've not encountered on a public forum before, insisting that this is what a normalise effect is supposed to do when everybody (including you) knows it isn't. I uploaded a sample file that clearly demonstrates that your weird effect, wrongly called normalise simply ruins audio files and should be removed from the menu as it will ruin peoples files. You wish to pretend that all is well, fine. I wish I hadn't wasted my time trying to help.

Normalisation should simply first search the file in its entirety for the highest value in pass1, then multiply all values by the same multiplier so the new highest value is the required % of absolute max.

Uninstalling AVS, it has wasted enough of my time already, and is clearly not to be trusted with my files. It's quite annoying to be led up the garden path, thinking the admin on a forum understands and wishes to help to discover they are just trying to front it out and pretend everything works fine. You could have saved us both a lot of time by just admitting it doesn't work and won't be fixed which is ultimately what the response is. I suggest you extract the audio from my sample and run it through the normalisation in wavelab or any other pro-audio software and contrast and compare with the weirdness your program creates.

Over and out, JB

PS - Anyone reading DON'T use the normalise effect it is actually a brick wall limiter and will introduce distortion and screetching and destroy the dynamics of your audio files.
Lex
Administrator
20.03.12 06:48:04

Hello,

We regret any inconvenience caused. Your post will be transferred to our developers.

Best regards.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  188