AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
05.11.09 08:24:33
Hi. When I make a backup copy of some of my DVDs using AVS DVD Copy, I frequently get a complete system shut-down with certain DVDs. Is this a known issue and if so, do you know how to avoid it?

Thank you.
Gerard
Administrator
06.11.09 04:23:12
To: gerard

Not sure if any of our customers reported such a problem.

gerard:
I frequently get a complete system shut-down with certain DVDs.
What kind of DVDs are they? Do you manage to play them back fine on your PC?

Could you describe your actions step by step. Specify version of AVS DVD Copy installed. Do you have any problems when using other multimedia programs, ex. AVS Video Converter? Also attach detailed information on your PC system, specify the OS you are using. Do you burn DVDs fine on this burner using any other programs?

Looking forward to hearing from you
06.11.09 06:58:40
To: nadin

Hi Nadin - thanks for your reply; I am labelling each of your questions with a Q and each of my answers with an A:

Q: What kind of DVDs are they? Do you manage to play them back fine on your PC?

A: These are commercial DVD's (movies) that I've bought that I want a backup copy of so that if an original in my collection gets damaged, or if lend it to friends or family and it gets lost, I have a backup copy. I am in the UK, so generally region 2 DVDs; using DVD43 to decrypt, or have trialled AnyDVD but not yet purchased that. I am wondering if a trojan or some other malware has hopped into the picture, or if, perhaps, some of the content providers are including someting on the disks so that, if you try to make a backup copy, it shuts your system down? I've seen some precedent for this - Sony/BMG have included a DRM rootkit virus on some of their media, for example. All I can say is that it is definitely related to running AVS DVD copy, as my system is stable at all other times, but once I begin backing up a disk, the problem occurs, and it will repeat, if I reboot and retry to backup the disk.

Q: Could you describe your actions step by step. Specify version of AVS DVD Copy installed. Do you have any problems when using other multimedia programs, ex. AVS Video Converter? Also attach detailed information on your PC system, specify the OS you are using. Do you burn DVDs fine on this burner using any other programs?

A: I am running AVS DVD copy verision 4.1.1.263. I have had a similar problem with AVS Video Converter converting an AVI file that I shot on a pencam to another format. My system is Windows Vista Business with an intel core2duo cpu T8300 @2.40Ghz, 4GB ram, Dell Latitude D630C.

I insert the DVD into the built-in DVD reader/writer and wait for DVD43 or AnyDVD to recognize and release the disc (DVD43- provides green smiley face - I love that by the way, especially after the devil interlude!), then I open AVS DVD copy, wait for the disc to be opened, and then click copy. Usually, if the problem occurs, it will occur about 40% into the disc shrink process, but it can occur at any time, earlier or later - I've had it occur when the dic has been almost fully copied to my hard-drive; usually, if I get past the copy phase, then the writing to disk usually does not result in a system shutdown. Using the same burner, I've never had a shut-down copying media using Roxio, but Roxio does not seem to interface properly with DVD43 or AnyDVD, which is why I purchased a license to AVS.

If I happen to be doing any other work in another program or sending an email etc., the system does not even give me a chance to save my work - it just goes through an instantaenous shutdown - quicker than if I were to request the system to shut-down by regular means. This is, obviously, very problematic!!

Q: Looking forward to hearing from you

A: Thanks - looking forward to hearing back from you!

Gerard
13.11.09 02:25:27

Hi - any thoughts on this situation?

Gerard
Administrator
13.11.09 03:28:06

Could you please provide the following info:

1. If you copy this DVD to hard disc using AnyDVD or (and) DVD43 first and then try to shrink the disc with AVS DVD Copy taking the source DVD from hard disc does the problem occur?

gerard:
I have had a similar problem with AVS Video Converter converting an AVI file that I shot on a pencam to another format.
Is it likely that the problem occurs due to PC overheating?

3. If possible, try copying your disc on another PC using AVS DVD Copy and inform us whether the problem can be reproduced there.

4. Try to copy this disc using AVS Video ReMaker (save to MPEG format). What is the result?

16.11.09 06:49:14
To: nadin

Hi Nadin - thanks for your follow-up on this question:

Could you please provide the following info:

1. If you copy this DVD to hard disc using AnyDVD or (and) DVD43 first and then try to shrink the disc with AVS DVD Copy taking the source DVD from hard disc does the problem occur?

I WILL HAVE TO TRY THIS AND GET BACK TO YOU...

2. gerard:
I have had a similar problem with AVS Video Converter converting an AVI file that I shot on a pencam to another format.
Is it likely that the problem occurs due to PC overheating?

I DON'T THINK THIS IS A PC OVERHEATING PROBLEM - IT ONLY OCCURS WHEN COPYING A DISK USING AVS DVD COPY; DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT BE AN OVERHEATING PROBLEM? IF SO, HOW COULD THAT BE ADDRESSED AND OVERCOME?

3. If possible, try copying your disc on another PC using AVS DVD Copy and inform us whether the problem can be reproduced there.

ON ANY COMPUTER WHERE I HAVE LOADED AVS DVD COPY AND DVD43 OR ANYDVD, I GET THE SHUT-DOWN PROBLEM, EVEN WITH A DESKTOP PC RATHER THAN A LAPTOP!

4. Try to copy this disc using AVS Video ReMaker (save to MPEG format). What is the result?

I WILL HAVE TO TRY THIS AND GET BACK TO YOU.

THANKS; HAS NO-ONE ELSE REPORTED ANY SIMILAR PROBLEMS?

Gerard
Administrator
19.11.09 05:00:10

Personally I don't remember anyone who reported such a problem, so please still try to do some more testing.

As for overheating, this was just an assumption, as shut down might occur due to processor problems. If any other multimedia (high performance) programs work fine on your PC, the issue must not be caused by overheating.

Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  358