AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
21.03.09 10:27:24
Background: Using Video Converter version 6.2.5.333. Using latest AnyDVD.

I have succesfully converted over 15 movies but I am now having a problem with one. I have tried twice to convert Marry Poppins to H.264 - Bitrate:5000, fps: 24, Frame Size 720 x 480, 100% crop. It will not play after conversion. Quicktime gives me a -2048 error. If I try to open it up in AVS Video Converter I get "File Format Error". The file is corrupt. What is causing this. It is longer than most others I have done. Does this have anything to do with it. Most other movies I have converted are between 3-4 GB. After converting Mary Poppins it is 5.2 GB.
Please help.
Thanks
Administrator
23.03.09 05:27:48
To: alansned

We`d be glad to receive the source file in order to reproduce the problem. Please upload it to our FTP server - the instruction has been sent to you on the support page.

Best regards
23.03.09 19:27:05
To: nadin

I tried, but it is almost 7 GB. It was going to take over a day to upload.

I did convert the movie at a couple of other bit rates. I forgot to mention I was converting to MP4.
At 4000 bitrate the file was corrupt. Same problem. Resulting file was 4.2 GB.
At 2000 bitrate the file was fine. Resulting file was 2.1 GB.

I am going to try 3000 bitrate tonight.

Any other suggestions, without uploading the source files.

Thanks
Administrator
24.03.09 03:03:12

In this case please could do the following: open the source file in the program once again, set the profile (the one you failed to convert the file with), click on Advanced > File Information and make a screenshot of this window. Attach it here. We will try to reproduce the error based on this information.

Best regards
24.03.09 21:28:14

I was successful with 3000 bitrate, but not at 4000 or 5000.
Attached files:
Administrator
27.03.09 04:21:19

Actually PSP does not support files more than 2 Gb in size, so if you choose MP4 PSP preset when converting your video you can get an output file only less than 3 Gb in size. In your case due to bitrate increase the output file size has been increased as well, therefore the resulting video has been created not correctly.

For the moment there is no need to create PSP files more than 2 Gb in size, so this option is disabled in the program. However, our developers are planning to implement it in future as it becomes necessary.

Best regards
27.03.09 08:01:22

This can't be true. I have successfully converted 12 movies over 3GB and one over 4GB with these exact settings. See attachment. What settings should I use to get an MP4 file coded with H.264 over 3GB. Does mp4 IPod go over 3GB? If I chose mp4 iso v.1 or v.2 it will not let me choose H.264 coding. So my only File Type choice is mp4 PSP or mp4 iPod. I want to be able to convert large files consistantly.

Thanks
Attached files:
136.4 KB
27.03.09 08:09:17

Forgot to add. I am not using these movies for an PSP or an IPod. I am using them on a WD TV.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572
Administrator
30.03.09 00:42:19

Actually the device mentioned supports a wide range of video formats:
WD TV:
MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),MTS, TP, TS

MP4 format is mostly used with mobile devices, so we`d recommend you to convert videos to any of the other formats (ex, AVI, MPEG).

Best regards
30.03.09 07:53:13

I understand that it supports a lot of other formats. I have tried other formats. The best is mp4 with H.264 encoding. You can not fast forward with the WD TV using AVI file. I'v tried MPEG. It is bad quality with big file sizes. Is there a technical file size limit for an MP4 file? I can't find one specified anywhere. So why should it matter how big my file size is?
Administrator
31.03.09 04:47:42
alansned:
Is there a technical file size limit for an MP4 file?

There is a limitation as regarding output files converted with Sony PSP preset, as this is a small device and there is simply no need to get output files that are large in size. Increasing bitrate is not recommended during to MP4 conversion.

alansned:
You can not fast forward with the WD TV using AVI file.

Why not? You can select an HD Video H.264 codec preset. This seems to be the best choice for you.

Regards
31.03.09 22:10:45

OK. I'm getting frustrated.
I understand that there is a limit for the PSP prest so you say. It doesn't say that anywhere in the program or documentation.

As far as AVI files. I gave it another shot, but is is just not an acceptable option for the following reasons:
1. Takes almost twice as long (over 8 hours to convert a 1:30 minute movie).
2. Still can't fast forward or rewind AVI files. Any AVI files. Even movies created by digital camera. When I open the file in Windows Media Player, the FF and RW buttons are diabled.

I guess I will be sticking with MP4 and have to lower the bit rate on longer movies, but I still don't understand why there is not a preset to allow any file size output. I would suggest that the documentation be corrected to say that PSP and Ipod preset dose not support output files larger than 4GB.
Administrator
03.04.09 03:43:08
alansned:
I understand that there is a limit for the PSP prest so you say. It doesn't say that anywhere in the program or documentation.
As already said, this preset is used for creating PSP files (files to be used on Sony PSP), so it should be clear as a matter of course that these files cannot be (are not required to be) large in size.

alansned:
Takes almost twice as long (over 8 hours to convert a 1:30 minute movie).
Maybe you have used some other settings when converting to AVI. I have just tried to convert a file to MP4 with the settings you have specified above, then to AVI with the same codec, bitrate a.o. settings, and the conversion has taken almost the same amount of time.

alansned:
When I open the file in Windows Media Player, the FF and RW buttons are diabled.
WMP cannot fast forward or rewind certain types of files. The only ones it can FF and RW flawlessly are WMV and MPEG. However, you can use AVS Media Player where this option is enabled regardless of the file extension.

Regards
03.04.09 08:07:14
nadin:
As already said, this preset is used for creating PSP files (files to be used on Sony PSP), so it should be clear as a matter of course that these files cannot be (are not required to be) large in size.

Ok lets forget about PSP preset. What does iso v.1 , iso v.2 and Ipod allow? What is the difference? Will there be a preset in a future release that will allow larger file size outputs with MP4?

nadin:
Maybe you have used some other settings when converting to AVI. I have just tried to convert a file to MP4 with the settings you have specified above, then to AVI with the same codec, bitrate a.o. settings, and the conversion has taken almost the same amount of time.

You need to compare apples to apples. Maybe the time is about the same for a 5 minute clip but you need to look at what I am doing. I converted the same movie one as MP4 and one as AVI. I restored the codec settings to default, and left the bit rate at 800 kbps. See attached files. Like I said before the AVI is taking almost twice as long. This doesn't make sense.
Attached files:
Administrator
06.04.09 06:20:14

File size limitation (4294967296 byte) is characteristic for Apple files. It underlies specification of this type of format. Moreover, our developers doubt that your device will support files larger in size.

alansned:
Like I said before the AVI is taking almost twice as long.
During to MP4 conversion the appropriate codec (H.264) is used with some limitations due to the fact that Apple format does not use the codec resources in full. Therefore converting to MP4 can take a shorter period of time, as compared with to AVI conversion.

In consideration of these facts, we would still recommend you to convert your files to a format other than MP4, since your device supports a wide range of formats: MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4, H.264),MTS, TP, TS. You can use a free encyclopedia, such as Wikipedia to learn more on each of the formats and decide which one is more suitable for you.

Regards

P.S. An alternative solution for you would be to split your input files into shorter videos and convert these files separately. This way you can get files with a higher bitrate.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  15