AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
20.04.11 05:54:22
Hi.

I am running AVS Video Converter version 7.1 on a Windows XP SP3 machine and have recently experienced issues where converting MKV files and joining 2 avi files have caused the application to shut down the system.

I have the latest updates according to the update manager but still have the issue.

Have anyone else had this problem and know how to resolve it please?

DC.
21.04.11 00:53:00
To: DaddyCee

Update

I did a delete of all temp files and also defragged the hard disk but still had the same issue. Could this be graphic card related i.e. hardware or driver perhaps?
21.04.11 02:51:58

Hello,

Was it one time error or you still receive this error? Does it persists only with certain files which you mentioned or with other files too?

Regards.
21.04.11 03:24:02
To: Vlad

Hi there. It seems to happen all the time.

This is ever since I converted an AVI to DVD (which worked) the only difference I believe is that there have been some windows updates.

So far I have tried converting MKV files to HD AVI and adding two AVI's together to make one big AVI. Both of these processes results in the machine powering off not even a reboot it is a complete shutdown.

I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem as it only seems to cause a problem when running this application. Games on the machine run fine.

It's a quad-core (Q6600) machine with 4GB of RAM and 2TB of HDD space.

Thanks,
21.04.11 04:36:37

Please note that converting HD video requires much more hardware resourses than conversion to DVD.

To avoid the problem please setting below normal conversion priority in AVS Video Converter>Settings>Processing>Threads

If it does not help, please attach a screenshot of your MKV file properties (AVS Video Converter>Advanced>Conversion Options).
22.04.11 07:14:52
I was quite stressed seeing how my computer shut down repeatedly using AVS Video Convertor. Not sure whether I should be happier seeing that I am not alone having this problem.
I attach printscreen with the advanced options I used for transferring DVD to avi. But the computer shuts down even if I use different options.
Attached files:
25.04.11 07:16:36
To: johnsmith

Does you computer shut down only when you convert from disc? or when you convert files from hard drive as well? The disc may be damaged, or disc drive does not work properly.
Also, please attach a screenshot of your PC configuration (My Computer>right click>Properties. )
25.04.11 09:55:53

I have put my specification to the answer in the other forum. I have not tried to convert from hard disc - I will try.
But DVD disc seems not to be damaged as it normally plays in Windows Media Player, and it plays normally in DVD recorder. And I have tried several DVD discs and they all do this.
It seems software specific rather than disc specific.
Thanks
25.04.11 11:13:56
To: vlad

I have tried to convert from hard disk and the same happened again - after maybe little longer (6-7 minutes) computer shut down. I have tried conversion avi to mpeg.
Thanks.
26.04.11 02:44:48

I located the problem with mine and had a successful conversion over the weekend so know that it is now fixed.

My issue was that the 1st core on my Q6600 was getting to 75C and causing the machine to shutdown to protect the processor.

I replaced the AS5 cement on the processor and have had no further problems. I also took the opportunity to clean out the small amount of dust that had collected in the fins on the heat sink and the fan blades.

I would definitely check cooling.

I used cpu-z to see what the internal core temperatures were.
26.04.11 05:19:37

Thanks for advice. I realized that my laptop was getting very warm. But you talk to me in some kind of "foreign language" - I have no idea what is AS5 cement, how to change it, or anything like that!
So,it is difficult to follow your advice :))
26.04.11 08:07:55

AS5 is Artic Silver its the compound used to stick processors to heat sinks. It may be more difficult for you as you are running a laptop.

To see if it is an overheating problem you could download DIVX player which comes with a FREE 15 day trial of DIVX Converter, if this also shuts your machine down during the process then it would point to not being the AVS4You software problem.

Hope this is a better explanation for you.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  287