AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
15.06.10 14:18:07
Several of my ripped Blu-rays have subtitles in portions of the title when a foreign language is spoken (Avatar, Iron Man, District 9, Angels and Demons, Broken Trail, the list goes on). Apparently, the way these are displayed is they are flagged from the english subtitle track. The term I believe is forced subtitles. When converting the title, these forced subtitles do not appear. This happens when <None> is chosen in subtitle track; subtitles appear throughout the program when a subtitle track is chosen (very undesirable). It appears that the AVS4you video converter SW lacks the capability to implement forced subtitles.

I've written to support and have searched this forum for some answers, but to no avail. Is there a (simple) solution to this issue that I'm not aware of? If AVS4you doesn't support this feature, does it ever plan to do so? When?
17.06.10 05:47:03
To: untechnoman

Hello,

As far as I know our support manager Serge has already answered to your query in support system.

When you play your Blu-ray video on your player, do you also have to enable subtitle track to see forced subtitles or it appear without subtitles enabled?

Regards.
17.06.10 11:49:44
To: Vlad
I did get the answer (today) to my query that forced subtitles are not supported from Serge. Since I submitted that query last week and hadn't heard back, I thought I would post it in the forums also.

It is my understanding that there are different ways in which subtitles are implemented. Hard subtitles are encoded with the video (Sherlock Holmes, the boathouse scene) and others (the movies listed in my opening thread) are soft and are flagged by the player. These appear without having to be turned on otherwise they would be displayed throughout. More information about forced subtitles and a link to a list of movies with forced subs can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1176923. When converting a movie for example to .wmv, like I do in order to stream the movie to my WMC extender, the forced subtitles do not appear.

I find it interesting (and a bit discouraging) that given the large number of movies that contain forced subs that this issue has not been broached in these forums and not recognized as a key feature requirement for video conversion. This is a significant issue that should be addressed ASAP. A competitor of your handles it in their conversion module "Blu-Ray to Mobile". Since I already bought this one, I would like to stay with this one.
17.06.10 12:11:32
To: untechnoman

Thank you getting back to us and given the details.

Unfortunately, that is true, forced subtitles are not supported by our software. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

However, I will suggest our developers add this feature to the next version of AVS Video Converter.

Regards.
24.09.10 11:39:02
For forced subtitles, I just add text appropriately. Yes, it becomes part of the encoded video (will always show up, no matter what), but I'm only catering to English speaking audiences, so it's fine. I recently edited Quantum of Solace (which has forced subtitles - also encoded are part of the video), and I added more subtitles using this method.
27.09.10 04:33:27
To: Big Jake

Thanks for your advice. It is valuable. Other users can also use this method.

Best regards.
01.01.11 23:39:54
To: Big Jake

I don't get it. What do you mean by adding text.

This forced subtitle thing is annoying me. I don't want to have to sit through a fully subtitled movie, when only 1% of it is in a foreign language.

How are you adding the text?

Thanks.
05.03.11 14:50:59
To: grant9474

Sorry for not responding sooner. I've been off the grid - so to speak.

When you're editing a movie, just above the time-line there is a horizontal row of buttons. One of them is entitled, "Text". Pressing it cause a list of textual choices to be displayed above the button. Just drag any one of them down to the text line (denoted by "T") of the time-line. A new blue block will appear at the location where you dropped it. If you right-click on it, you can choose to edit it. Doing so will open a new window. In that window, you can change the text, the font, the graphics, etc. When you're finished, click OK and the window will close. If you right click on the blue block again, you can set the duration of it. You can cause it to display for virtually any length of time. Typical subtitles range from one to three seconds. Just play around with it until you get something you're pleased with (font, color, size, placement, etc.). Once you've done that, you can save it as a preset. That way, every time you want to add a subtitle, you won't need to use one of the standard sample ones and go through the monotony of changing everything. You can just drag your preset version down, open the edit window, and change the text only.
29.03.11 12:43:34
Hello
When will support for forced subtitles be implemented?
Many thanks
30.03.11 02:46:50
To: foxbenw

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not plan to implement forced subtitles support at present.

Best regards.
16.04.11 10:44:23
Thanks, but that isn't a particularly helpful answer. Will there ever be support for forced subtitles? There are questions about it on this forum that go back a long time. Can we have some more information about why it isn't being planned? Without more details I will be forced to use other software instead.
Kind regards
22.04.11 04:14:48
To: foxbenw

Since more and more users ask about forced sibtitles, I will talk with our developers.:-) Perhaps, it will be added in the next version.

Best regards.
09.01.12 21:45:04

Just to follow up on this 1, how is it going with implementing it?

Cheers Grant
11.01.12 12:22:32
To: gruntly69

Dear,

Corrently, forced subtitles are displayed only if they are included into subtitle track of the movie. Don't you have an example video where forced sutitles are not included into subtitles? Would be great if you share it.

Best regards.
11.01.12 22:09:00

Hi Vlad,

I was referring to like the original poster in movies like; Sherlock Holmes in the boathouse scene

Would be great to get it implemented!

Cheers Grant
18.02.12 08:16:21
Hi Vlad:

If you are still looking for a film which doesnt have forced subtitles in the movie then look at District 9. Lots of forced subtitles required in this film.

Is there any update on this yet?

:)
Lex
Administrator
20.02.12 07:40:09
To: easton1975

Hello,

Unfortunately, AVS4YOU software doesn't still support forced subtitles.

Best regards.
03.04.12 01:03:57
To: easton1975

I would also like to request the inclusion of forced subtitles. I am trying to convert Assassination Games which has forced subtitles and AVS video converter will not handle the subtitles. The only program that I have found that successfully converted the video was Handbrake which is freeware. If Handbrake can perform the conversion with forced subtitles then I do not understand why an application that you pay for can not.

Your application would be the clear winner if you included the handling of forced subtitles.
Administrator
03.04.12 09:11:41
To: vbritt

Hello,

Thank you for your information. I'll forward your suggestion to our developpers.

Best regards
04.05.12 04:08:05
Any update on this feature? I hope it will be considered.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  224