AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
07.05.09 21:42:58
I am trying to create a slideshow movie with about 250 slides, transitions and music. I am running out of memory! I just added more ram and still do not have enough. I would think that 2GB would be enough It appears that the program is pulling everything into active memory at once. Is there are way to force the program to release information that has already been processed? I have been working on this for four days to take along with me on a California trip. Now I will have to wait until after the trip and mail it. What a disappointment this has been!

I know I am running out of memory because I can see it happening in the Task Manager. After about 32 minutes, the available memory falls below 50KB and the processing goes to finalizing. Within seconds the available memory increases to over 1GB.
11.05.09 21:24:39
Help, Please! I cannot get technical support staff to respond to my request for help. No one appears to be having the problem here on the forum. Atr least no one has responded. Today, I went out and bought another gigabyte of memory. The create process still failed after 34 minutes. Everything seemed to be going along fine with 1GB of memory remaining. Then it changed to finalizinzing even though it was not done.

What can I do to get it to finish?
14.05.09 21:23:58
I am still having the problem. After four requests to technical support, I still have not received a response. Is this treatment normal? Has anyone found another video program out there that is worth trying, preferrably one with U. S. telephone support. I don't think this online approach is worth the hassle. I reported my problem a week ago.
Administrator
15.05.09 05:26:17
To: rwjustus@cox.net

Please accept our apologies for the delay!

It would be great if you specified when exactly the available memory increases: when you add images to your project or upon saving the movie. If this is the first case, please try adding images not in the middle of your project, but at the end of the storyboard/timeline. Does the memory increase as well?

Thank you in advance for the information and once again sorry for the delay.

Regards
16.05.09 23:12:16
Nadin,

I did state when the memory is increasing in my first post. It is happening during the CREATE process. Why don't you release the memory of already processed images as you go along? Remember, new cameras are making bigger images. Now that I have 3 gigabytes of memory, I have tried adding more images to the end of my project hoping it will get further along but it still gives up before it gets to the end. It does not seem to be able to break the 2 gigabyte threshold. This is true whether I select to write to a file or disc. By the way, are you suggesting that images cannot be safely inserted into the middle of a storyboard?

I asked this question of support but they did not answer it: Why does the process shorten the length of a project when you add transitions? It seems like adding a 2 second transition should add 2 seconds to the project. Unless, the trnasition is considered part of the image duration in which case the project length should stay the same. If definitely should not shorten it. I have my default image durations set to 10 seconds. I suspect it is not being recognized by the CREATE process.

I think there is something wrong with the code in this new version. I see a number of posts with virtually identical issues. Most don't know how much memory is being consumed but they are all failing before they get to the end of their project. I am disappointed that it is taking 3 or 4 days to get a response from support. I uploaded my whole project and it took them 3 days to realize it was there and start downloading it, even though I sent a message within minutes after completing the 3-hour upload. That was two days ago and still no news.

Can we safely re-install version 3.5 until you get this problem fixed? I have promised copies of my video to family and friends. I feel like an idiot telling them I am still working on it after almost a month,

I read that you cannot open earlier version projects with this new version. Someone needs to tell your programming staff that backward compatibility is a given these days. Most projects take hours to complete. Redoing them from scratch? Forget it! Maybe I should be asking for a refund of the lifetime portion of my payment. I like your flexible features but they are any good if they don't work.

My 2¢
Administrator
18.05.09 05:32:20

The problem with the memory described is known to us and it will be corrected within the next update we are planning to release next month. We'd appreciate if you waited for the update.

rwjustus@cox.net:
Why does the process shorten the length of a project when you add transitions? It seems like adding a 2 second transition should add 2 seconds to the project. Unless, the trnasition is considered part of the image duration in which case the project length should stay the same. If definitely should not shorten it.
Adding transitions between images does shorten the lengh of the whole project, as images get intersected, so their duration changes. This is a common feature of any transition to merge images, so that the first one overlays the other.

Best regards
27.05.09 23:12:40
To: nadin

Is there a release date for the upgrade yet?
Administrator
28.05.09 00:40:36

Approximately middle/end of June.
15.06.09 21:43:15
To: nadin

Can you give me a better estimate on the release date for this fix? It is now the middle of June. I reported the problem more than a month ago.
Administrator
19.06.09 06:30:53

Unfortunately, the release date has been delayed. I will inform you as soon as the new version is available.

Best regards
20.06.09 06:44:19
I don't ask questions just for fun. I expect to get answers. I wasted a multitude of hours trying to convince you that you had serious problems with this software. Now you seem to be just sitting on it. When can I expect some action? I'm tired of waiting.
20.06.09 07:07:37
What is the latest version that works properly? Please make it available for download. Since you don't appear to feel this is a priority, it would at least allow me to finish the projects I have started.
Administrator
29.06.09 05:08:43

Finally AVS Video Editor 4.2. has become available on our downloads page. Please try using the new version and inform us on the result.

Best regards
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  73