AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
23.02.13 02:41:22
I have several VHS tapes that I would like to put on Blu-Ray discs. I'm not sure the best hardware to do the job. I have seen references that say a
simple A/V cable to USB would do the job. Other sources recommend a firewire transfer. What are the relative advantages of these two methods?

For software, I could use the AVS Video Capture Software. Upon opening that program, the Output choices are 'native' and 'mpeg-2'. Will either of
these give me good resolution results for a file to burn to a Blu-Ray?
24.02.13 04:37:35
I noticed some problems with the ATI All-in-Wonder capture card. Would this be a problem with their entire line of All-in-Wonder, or just the model
specified? The problem was loss of data at 740 lines. Are there alternative modes this card would work at?
24.02.13 18:05:41
To: sherwindu

i got nothing on top of my head onto this. It should show you more options on top of native and mpeg 2. Wait for a while, an admin should provide you with an answer.
Nat
25.02.13 08:03:07

Dear user,

The problem is detected only with ATI Radeon X850 VIVO, it is the following: 720-pixel resolutions are recorded with distortions due to the fact that the device sends the wrong data on the resolution value.

You can try to use your card and inform if you get any problems, the above mentioned problem may not appear on your card model.

The recomendations on how to connect your card to PC please find following this link.

Inform about the result.

Kind regards
02.03.13 08:32:18
I looked at your documentation for inputing VHS tapes, but I don't think I can use your Video Recorder module. I possibly have an older model camera,
a JVC GR-SZ7 recorder/player. There is no switch or capability of this camera to output DV. There is a S-Video output. I purchased a Diamond ATI Theater HD 750 PCIE Tuner Card, which also has the capability of accepting an analog S-Video signal and converting it to digital. I believe it has an output of mpg-2 files. My plan is to output the card's digitized output to my hard drive and then import it to your Video Editor for changes and burning. This card has the ability to output in several formats including H.264, AVI, MPEG, DivX, WMV, MPEG4, etc. Which format should I select to get the best resolution and compatibility with your Video Editor?

I am going to try to burn some DVD's with the above method to see how they look on my plasma TV. My experience with converted movie film is that the
DVD's I burn in your program looked about the same, except they did not fill the TV screen as much as the corresponding Blu-Ray's I burned. Also, I was able to get more material on a single disc with the Blu-Ray discs. The down side was that when using a DVD as input to your editor, the burned Blu-Ray showed pixelation on the 1280 line Blu-Ray burn, but no pixelation when burning to a 720 line Blu-Ray. I think S-VHS has a resolution lf 420x480. Some of the capture cards claim they can produce a HD output, but would that work with my S-VHS film and give an improved image?
Nat
14.03.13 09:19:27

Dear user,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

sherwindu:
There is no switch or capability of this camera to output DV. There is a S-Video output

You can still use AVS Video Recorder to record from your camera.
If you use an external video capture board supplied with RCA and S-Video jacks, the best way to link the devices is to connect the VHS recorder/player S-Video output with the video capture board S-Video input using the corresponding cable so to relay a video signal. To relay an audio signal use an RCA cable, connecting your VHS recorder/player RCA output with the video capture device RCA input but employing white and red jacks only. And then use a USB cable to connect the external video capture board to the computer USB port.

See the user guide on how to convert VHS tapes to digital format.

sherwindu:
Which format should I select to get the best resolution and compatibility with your Video Editor?

If you use AVS Video Recorder, please use the option "Recommeded format" - "Native". If you use a third party software, please use the format that is of better quality (with higher video bitrate, frame rate, frame size).
To get the better quality output in AVS Video Editor please choose input bitrate, frame size and frame rate options for the output by clicking on the Advanced button (see the screenshot attached).

sherwindu:
DVD's I burn in your program looked about the same, except they did not fill the TV screen as much as the corresponding Blu-Ray's I burned

BlueRay and DVD videos have different frame aspect ratio, so if you create BlueRay you need to select 16:9 aspect, DVD - 4:3 for your video project. To do it press the Edit button on the top toolbar - Aspect ratio - select the needed one.

sherwindu:
The down side was that when using a DVD as input to your editor, the burned Blu-Ray showed pixelation on the 1280 line Blu-Ray burn, but no pixelation when burning to a 720 line Blu-Ray.

You will receive the better video quality for created video if the input and output parameters like video bitrate, frame rate and frame size are the same or similar.
In your case, 720 line Blu-Ray video parameters were more similar to those of input DVD that those of 1280 line Blu-Ray, that is why the latter was worse in quality.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Kind regards
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  44