AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
02.09.12 04:57:14
I upgraded the video editor, 6.1 -> 6.2. When I open existing projects, the "Current project" in the Media library is empty. I had referenced in there the several raw videos which I used as the sources to make the final products. I thought the software "upgrades" were supposed to remember all the settings in already existing projects. Did I forget to do something?
Administrator
03.09.12 08:43:35
To: gdrenkes

Hello,

Please try re-importing the files in your project.
Are the files present on the timeline?

Best regards
04.09.12 01:59:05
To: Esther

The stuff I had put and edited on the time line, text line, voice recording line, were all still there. I could play the preview just fine. But all the raw video files I had had in the "Current Project" were not listed any more.

In one of the other threads, one of your colleagues said something like the "current project" is not supposed to remember what was loaded into it. We should create our own folder in the Media Library if we want the links to the raw videos to be there after closing & starting the editor. So, I created a "Raw Video" folder, and imported videos into it. I thought it would stay specific to the project, but now I see it shows up in all projects, even when I initiated a new project. That really surprised and confused me. Right now I have 5 "projects" which show when the Projects button is chosen. 3 of them have entries in the Current Project, 2 have forgotten them. I think all of them show the "Raw Video" folder with the 8 links in them; but I am not sure, the thumbnails keep getting rearranged, and it is difficult to keep track of which ones I have checked already, .... confusing.

How do I set it up so that each project displays just the raw videos I need for that one alone?

Re-import the files in the project? What happens someday if I have 1000 raw videos and 20 projects?
Administrator
04.09.12 11:45:22

Hello,

The information on the files that were imported in Media Library of AVS Video Editor is stored here:
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\AVS4YOU\AVSVideoEditor\Data

It is not deleted when you upgrade AVS programs, only when you completely uninstall them.

Please delete all the information from the folder above and reimport the files in your projet anew.

We would advise not to create folders with files in AVS Video Editor, but to create a folder on your PC where all the files used in the projects are stored to avoid confusion later, because projects in AVS Video Editor contain not the files themselves, but only links to the files and information about the changes made.

You can find detailed guidelines on working with projects here.

Best regards
05.09.12 02:32:50
Good evening,
-------------------------------------------------------------
"The information on the files that were imported in Media Library of AVS Video Editor is stored here:
C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\AVS4YOU\AVSVideoEditor\Data"

I found this .vec file in the corresponding Win7 folder. (Win7 at home, XP at work) Are the hieroglyphics in there thumbnails?
-------------------------------------------------------------
"It is not deleted when you upgrade AVS programs, only when you completely uninstall them."

I upgraded without doing an uninstall. I wonder what happened? Nowadays I routinely install upgrades on top of the current versions unless explicitly told otherwise.
--------------------------------------------------------------
"We would advise not to create folders with files in AVS Video Editor, but to create a folder on your PC where all the files used in the projects are stored to avoid confusion later, because projects in AVS Video Editor contain not the files themselves, but only links to the files and information about the changes made."

I have all my separate video projects which involve just one or a small number of closely related videos in separate folders. I put the raw videos, stills, and the .vep in there. I don't know where the audio files I speak into the microphone go. Can I move those into here too?

So, you recommend against creating folders in the Media Library?
------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can find detailed guidelines on working with projects here. [Link to online help] "

I thought I had an understanding of how this works, but maybe not. Here is one question which I see now after discussing this and rtfm'ing again. What difference is there, if any between [File] | [New Project] {CTRL_N} ...and... clicking on "Create blank project" in the Projects view?
Administrator
06.09.12 09:15:00

Hello,

gdrenkes:
I don't know where the audio files I speak into the microphone go. Can I move those into here too?

The audio recordings are stored in the following directories:
Windows 7:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\AVS4YOU\AVSVideoEditor\Temp\
XP:
c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\AVS4YOU\AVSVideoEditor\Temp\
The files have names Recording(***********).mp3

gdrenkes:
So, you recommend against creating folders in the Media Library?

You can create folders in the Media Library, however, please remember, that the actual files are not stored in the project file. If you remove or relocate the files to another folder on your PC, the information about the files in project will be lost.

gdrenkes:
What difference is there, if any between [File] | [New Project] {CTRL_N} ...and... clicking on "Create blank project" in the Projects view?

There is no difference between the two.

Best regards
17.09.12 03:17:37
Good evening,

{ I asked }
I don't know where the audio files I speak into the microphone go. Can I move those into here too?

{ You replied }
The audio recordings are stored in the following directories:
Windows 7:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\AVS4YOU\AVSVideoEditor\Temp\
XP:
c:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\AVS4YOU\AVSVideoEditor\Temp\
The files have names Recording(***********).mp3
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand the value of the .vep file using links to the video files which make up the library. And the \cache\ in there I suppose has the pieces of the production which will be spliced together to make the final product? I have used a separate folder and sub folders on C:\ just to hold the .mov files for the library for the editor. First I parsed up the longer raw recordings into smaller named pieces with the handy ReMaker. Then these were used to make the library for the editor. (C:\ is a semiconductor drive, which makes your program run fast and slick.) But now that it is finished and uploaded, I want to save all that was needed to make this in one folder and move it to the external HDD for archiving, and to free space on C:\. But the audio files are in my profile. Do I make copies of these in this folder too? Then if I want to edit this video down the road, do I need to put these audio files back in the Username\....\Temp\ folder? It seems like it would be easier, for us, if they were in the same folder as our video library. Also, do I need to clean out this \Temp\ folder to free up space on C:\? This particular video project is using about 1.5 GB in the cache.
Administrator
17.09.12 08:57:55

Dear Gordon,

gdrenkes:
Do I make copies of these in this folder too?

You can transfer the audio recordings from the directory mentioned above to some other folder and add them later to your project as Audio Soundtrack. Also you can transfer all the files used in the project to one directory, however, you'll need to re-import them anew while continue editing your project.

gdrenkes:
Then if I want to edit this video down the road, do I need to put these audio files back in the Username\....\Temp\ folder?

As for the transferring and returning audio recordings to their original Temp folder, if you perform the action while AVS Video Editor is not launched, there should be no issues. In this case the audio recordings will be recognized as Audio Commentaries.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  29