AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
05.11.09 13:54:16
I don't know if this is the place to be asking these questions but maybe you can direct me to the right page.

Using XP I was having problems converting a DVD to MPG.. I have done it a hundred times with the XP machine with no problems but all of a sudden it started failing, just stops converting. It is never in the same place. I would try the same disc over and over again with the same result but at different places. Sometimes it would convert them fine, but not often.

I thought a clean install of Windows might fix it so bought Windows 7 and just tried to convert one. Same problem. It was converting very slow. Like a movie less than 2 hours long was taking over 4 hours and then crashed 2.8G into the movie.

What could be causing this? I have a 3.2 gig processor with three Gig of ram. I shut down everything I could before starting the conversion. What in the world could be making it convert so slow now and crashing. It does not crash my computer, just stops converting and a box comes up saying it failed

Can you give me any ideas what the problem is or tell me where to go for help? I am using the latest Video Converter
Administrator
06.11.09 00:32:52
To: Roylaott

Try saving DVD to your hard disc first and import VIDEO_TS.IFO file into the program from HDD.

If the crash occurs again, please attach a screenshot of the error that you get. Also open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the program once again, choose the preset, then click on Advanced > File Information and take a screenshot of this window.

As far as I understand, the crash occurs when you convert a particular DVD only? Can it be played on your PC without any problems?
If you preview this movie in AVS Video Converter (in the Edit window), i.e. try to play it up to the end, does the crash occur as well?

Best regards
06.11.09 04:54:05
To: nadin
It happens with ANY DVD and before this started happening I had done a hundred in the same way with no problems at all. I have had problems lately with the last 20 or so that I have tried to convert.

The one that prompted me to post finally completed last night after three attempts, one it locked up my PC solid and I had to do a hard shutdown.

Just before going to bed I rebooted and started another one and it was going fine when I went to bed. I just get here and look and my commputer is locked up again solid. The program was open and had converted 96% and had been converting for 5+ hours for the one DVD.

This is with a fresh Windows 7 install. Everything else seems to be working fine at the time.

Since the computer was locked up at the time I could not read your post and did not get any information to send you.

I did not get an error message actually. My computer was frozen the last two times and before that it just says that the Disc failed to complete.

I will save the file to my computer this next try but I have never had to do that before. I will try it though
06.11.09 07:32:29
I tried it once again and had the same result. It made it half way this time. My computer did not lock up but I got this message.

I did as you suggested, copyied the DVD onto my desktop and tried to convert it from there but no difference. I also took a screen shot of the information you requested and it is included here.
Attached files:
06.11.09 09:50:15
nadin:

Try saving DVD to your hard disc first and import VIDEO_TS.IFO file into the program from HDD.

If the crash occurs again, please attach a screenshot of the error that you get. Also open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the program once again, choose the preset, then click on Advanced > File Information and take a screenshot of this window.

As far as I understand, the crash occurs when you convert a particular DVD only? Can it be played on your PC without any problems?
If you preview this movie in AVS Video Converter (in the Edit window), i.e. try to play it up to the end, does the crash occur as well?

Best regards

I guess I put the reply in the wrong place. I tried it again for the fifth time and go the same results. This time i got 76% before the failure. The last few times it did not lock up the computer.
Attached files:
29.79 KB
91.39 KB
Administrator
08.11.09 22:38:55

Could you please do some more testing:
- try converting a file of another format, ex. AVI, MOV or any other to check up whether the problem persists with DVDs only;
- import your DVD into the program, then follow to Edit window and try to play the movie up to the end - does the program crash?

Please inform us about the results.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  140