AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
14.01.09 07:36:45
As a very satisfied user of AVS Video Editor 3.5 I've been generally pleased by the changes implemented in version 4.1, but have experienced some problems with the handling of text overlays, which I use heavily to place "bouncing ball" sing-along lyrics in music videos. For this purpose, I place many very brief succesive text overlays on a video clip, and wish them all to have identical properties (e. g., font, size, fore-/background color, hatch pattern, shadow/edge propeties, screen alignment, fade-in/out animations and timing, etc.), changing only the text itself and occasionally, the overall duration of the overlay clip.

In version 3.5, this was easily achieved by selecting the "duplicate" option from the context menu accessed by right-clicking an existing text overlay clip and changing the text and duration as necessary. This "duplicate" operation -- and in fact, any operation to create a new text overlay clip -- also automatically placed the newly-created clip on a new line, which was very useful for aligning slightly overlapping successive clips.

According to the "AVS Video Editor - Editing Text" page in the program's Help document, the equivalent would be done in version 4.1 this way:

1) Use the the Edit Text window to adjust all the property settings as desired for an initial "model" text clip
2) Use the "Save" button in that Edit Window to create a named preset with all the desired settings
3) Apply the preset created in step 2 above to subsequently-created text clips
4) Type the desired replacement text into the new text clip.

Unfortunately, tho', in my installation the "Save Preset" is not working as described. The problems are as folows

1) The saved preset does not appear as a choice in the menu of text presets from which one can choose when creating a new text clip, and
2) even when the saved preset is applied within the Edit Text window evoked with another preset, in fact, _only_ the chosen font seems to be preserved and applied, thus requiring all other settings t be manually reapplied. This becomes a very time-consuming and tedious annoyance.

Furthermore, it seems that it's necessary in version 4.1 to manually create as needed new lines for each text overlay clip. It would be very useful to have the "duplicate" option restorted to the context menu associated with right-clicking and existing text clip overlay and to have a program "environment" setting that would make placement of newly-created text-overlays on a new line in that group the default behavior.

Thanks in advance for your attention to this inquiry and any solutions you may suggest, or at least a clear acknowledgement that this is a known issue for which a timely correction is anticipated.

(FYI, I'm running the AVS software under Win XP (SP 3), all opther updates current, and hardware well exceeding AVS specified system requirements. My copy of Video Editor 4.1, downloaded and installed yesterday, is currently unregistered but pending a current or promised solution to this vexing problem, I plan to purchase a lifetime product registration within the next several days.)
14.01.09 07:48:56
Just to clarify, when referring in my ealier query (posted just a few minutes ago) to "the Edit Text" window, I meant what AVS Help documents call "the Text Properties" window.
Dam
Administrator
15.01.09 01:44:52
To: stanwhjr

Hello,

So,

stanwhjr:
it seems that it's necessary in version 4.1 to manually create as needed new lines for each text overlay clip.

Yes, that was done on purpose. But there is no need to create a new line for each text overlay. ou can easily use one line for the text overlays that follow each other.

stanwhjr:
The saved preset does not appear as a choice in the menu of text presets from which one can choose when creating a new text clip,

That will not. That appears only in the Edit Text window.

stanwhjr:
even when the saved preset is applied within the Edit Text window evoked with another preset, in fact, _only_ the chosen font seems to be preserved and applied, thus requiring all other settings t be manually reapplied.

That is very strange. We did some testings and the error did not reproduce.

So, please precise:
1. Confirm whether your preset is saved in the Edit Text window and looks like you saved it - and looks like you saved it in its thumbnail.
2. Close Edit window and reopen it. Is your saved preset is still there?

Hope to hear from you soon.
15.01.09 08:39:08
To Dam:

Dam:

That is very strange. We did some testings and the error did not reproduce.

So, please precise:
1. Confirm whether your preset is saved in the Edit Text window and looks like you saved it - and looks like you saved it in its thumbnail.
2. Close Edit window and reopen it. Is your saved preset is still there?

Hope to hear from you soon.

OK, here's my step-by-step procedure:

1) Created 1st text overlay; Dragged/dropped “Simple 2” pattern onto text overlay line, adjusted duration to about 5 seconds

2) Double clicked this overlay to open Text Properties window, observing default Settings as follows:
On Draw tab:
Font: Arial, size 128, no bold/italic, underline or strikethru selected, aligned center/center.
Brush: solid, white, alpha 100
Shadow x/y offset -1/-1, blur 3, alpha 100
Edge color blue, edge enabled, distance 4, alpha 100
On Animation tab:
Fade in/out = Solid Fade/Solid Fade
Fade in/out duration about .25/.25 sec.

3) In Text Properties Window, manually changed all Settings as follows:
On Draw tab
Font: Courier New, size 48, bold/ital/underline strike thru all selected, aligned bottom/center
Brush: Hatch, colors red/green, Alpha in/out 50/50, fill pattern top left to bottom right lines
Shadow: x/y offset 6/6, Blur 0, alpha 50
Edge: Color yellow, distance 9, alpha 50
On Animation tab:
Fade in/out = Machine Typing/Center Letter Fade
Fade in/out about 0.75 sec. to enable easily watchnig correct action. At this point all Settings appeared as expected in the Text Properties preview.

4) “Saved” the current settings with name "MyNewPreset" “My New Preset” now appears in Presets thumbnails list in Text Properties window Draw tab with color, brush, shadow and edge properties as modifed. Text size and postion looks the same in all the Draw tab menued presets. "My New Preset" does not appear in the Animation Tab preset menu.

5) Clicked “OK” to accept changes and dismiss Text Properties window. When video clip is played, this text overlay appears exactly as expected. So far, so good…. HOWEVER …

6) Created a 2nd Text overlay immediately following the 1st in the timeline by dragging/dropping “Simple 2” pattern onto timeline adjusted duration to approximately 5 seconds.

7) Double clicked newly created text overlay to open Text Properties window and observed default settings as detailed in Step 2 above.

8) Clicked “MyNewPreset” from selectable presets to apply the saved Settings to the new overlay cilp. Most of the expected settings from Step 3 above had been preserved but font size had reverted to 128, text alignment to center/center, fade in/out animations to Solid Fade/Solid Fade, and fade in/out durations had to approximately .25 seconds, making it necessary to again manually change these particular settings to achieve the desired effect before exiting the Text Properties window.
__
So ... it turns out that the probem is not quite as severe as I originally thought, but a Saved preset does fail to retain several important properties settings. Since the overlay clip plays correctly with any given properties settings in the Text Properties window and looks exactly the same when OKed and viewed in the video preview, clearly all properties values are correctly preserved with the OKed clip itself. It seems then that it should be possible to correctly preserve and apply all properties values to new overlay clips via a saved preset.

Hopefullythe above is specific and detailed enough to allow the AVS support/maintenance team to identify and correct the problem.
Dam
Administrator
20.01.09 00:33:30

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed information. That really helped.

We found the cause of the problem. In fact you apply Draw and Animation at the same time, but the software saves either text draw settings or animation text settings.

We will solve this issue in the next version of the AVS Video Editor.

Thank you once again.

Best Regards
21.01.09 06:21:41
Dam:

We found the cause of the problem. ... We will solve this issue in the next version of the AVS Video Editor.

To Dam:

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you diagnosed the problem and I look forward eagerly to the forthcoming "cure" -- it'll save me a
lot of clicks!

Stan
05.02.09 10:54:28
Hi,
I am runnign AVS Video Editor 4.1.1.111 under Vista.
I need to enter a long text, but I want it to scroll all the way, all in one line, without any line break.
When I enter the text, it wraps around to the next line. I do not want it to wrap.
how do I do this?
thanks.
Ben
Administrator
09.02.09 07:01:33
To: Eradicator

Try reducing text font size in editing text window or make text properties window larger, in order to fit your text to the window. You can do this by dragging squares in the corners and on the sides of the text window.

Best regards.
22.04.12 18:50:41
I am running AVS Video Editor 6.1 on Windows 7. Loving the program so far, but looking for some help: I have video overlays and one text overlay associated with one of my clips. The problem is that the text overlay is hiding behind the video overlays. Can you provide me with help on how to bring the text to the front of the video overlays so that it can be seen?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
rhamm
Lex
Administrator
23.04.12 08:52:24
To: rhamm
]

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no possibility to put the text in front of the overlay video.

Best regards.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  151