AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
29.07.08 11:42:16
I would like to create smaller sized fragments of video (to accomodate up/downloading) from an existing single video file. I have used the Editor to create marks at the appropriate places, but I cannot find a way to export/save the individual bits (between the markers) as separate files. Is this possible? Thanks in advance, Steve
Dam
Administrator
30.07.08 02:32:05
To: sweber42

Hello Steve,

If you want to split video into several small video files, I'd recommend you to use AVS Video Converter 6.2.

To do that, please:
1. Launch AVS Video Converter
2. Choose your input file
3. Click the Advanced button and make sure that the Split check-box is checked.
4. Choose the way you want to split the file - by size (Limit file size), By markers.
If you would like to split by markers click the Edit... button and set markers.
5. Convert Now!

Note
If you split your input file By Marker make sure that each marked part size is under 700 Mb. In case it's over 700 Mb the program will automatically split the marked part into two more parts: first one - 700 Mb long from the beginning of a marked part, the second - from the end of the first part to the marker.

Best Regards
03.04.11 10:28:15
To: Sylvia

This does not seem to work for me. I have the exact same question as I am trying to split a half-hour video of my television program into 7-to-10-minute segments, as separate files, for upload to YouTube. I've set markers (chapters) in my "from" file. I've followed your instructions in this message stream.

In AVS Video Converter 6.3.2.370 I opened the "advanced" window; selected "split" and "by markers"; went to "edit"; selected "auto add" in the marker column (nothing appeared to happen, by the way); closed the "edit" window; then selected the "convert" button. The resulting .FLV file on my hard drive is still one large, half-hour video file.

A. How do we save each separate smaller file?
B. Where are these files? I can't find anything on my hard drive that says [filename]01, [filename]02, etc.
C. What seems to be my missing step?

Spending way too much time on what I had hoped to be a simple "split the file" task.
Sylvia
05.04.11 06:27:41
To: springboardtrain

Hello Sylvia,

I encourage you to use the latest version AVS Video Converter 7.1. which you can download from this link. In new version you can set chapters at time interval.

Please reinstall AVS software suite using the instructions here.

Best regards.
25.06.11 00:11:24
I have the same problem running the latest version 8.0.2.493

Splitting by markers always used to work in older versions, but now seems to ignore settings to split, and just outputs 1 file.

Please advise how to get around this, and when it will be fixed?
25.06.11 12:28:20
To: CyborgX

Hello,

Please try reinstalling the software using the instructions from this link.

Best regards.
26.06.11 23:51:53
Vlad:

Hello,

Please try reinstalling the software using the instructions from this link.

Best regards.

I just instaqlled the latest software. It is the most stable I have ever used of this software. Please don't just waste my time telling me to re-install unless it is a newer version than on your website, or a Beta. Is it newer?

The problem is that the "markers" in the current version are now "start trim" and "end trim". There is also no option on the main screen for "split by markers" just "split" "batch mode" and "split by chapters"

I cannot recall exactly what the options were on the old version, but it DEFINITELY bhaves differently and DOES NOT split at the markers like it used to do.

I am not the only person with this problem.

I got around it by setting chapters and splitting by chapters, but it is an extra step that I never had to do in the past.
28.06.11 03:17:56
CyborgX:

The problem is that the "markers" in the current version are now "start trim" and "end trim". There is also no option on the main screen for "split by markers" just "split" "batch mode" and "split by chapters"

I suppose that confused you.... Sorry, some changes in program interface... Now you should set markers as chapters. For it click right mouse button on Timeline and choose Add Chapter option in the context menu, thus a marker will be set on the current position. Set markers in the following way then choose Split By Chapters in split option.
04.07.11 05:12:13
Vlad:
CyborgX:

I suppose that confused you.... Sorry, some changes in program interface... Now you should set markers as chapters. For it click right mouse button on Timeline and choose Add Chapter option in the context menu, thus a marker will be set on the current position. Set markers in the following way then choose Split By Chapters in split option.

I was not "confused" MARKERS have always been different to CHAPTERS. All the previous version split at MARKERS. I always used MARKERS to set deleted sections, and then split at thos MARKERS. Now I have to set MARKERS and then go through again and set a load of CHAPTERS too! Double the work! That's not what I expect from upgrades, I expect improvements. To be honest this is the most stable version I have used so far, but it is still doubling my work.

Please put back the "Split at markers" option.
06.07.11 03:44:54

Sorry, but there are no markers now in AVS Video Converter... How do you set them? There is only Add chapter option in AVS Video Converter>Edit on Timeline which also works as marker. It was just renamed from marker to chapter, but functions the same.
07.07.11 17:43:26
Hi !
The problem to resolve is the following:
Form a video file (format .VOB) I chose and cut the fragment / sequence that I need (beginning time to end time) and now I wnat to save that fragment in a format compatible with any other video player like AVI or MPEG format.

Please what iare the spets, point by pont. I really need to do it My email address: charlesave@hotmail.com

Regards,
08.07.11 03:19:46
To: charlesave@hotmail.com

Hello Charles,

The instructions have been provided to you in our support system.

Best regards.
08.07.11 23:59:19
Vlad:

Sorry, but there are no markers now in AVS Video Converter... How do you set them? There is only Add chapter option in AVS Video Converter>Edit on Timeline which also works as marker. It was just renamed from marker to chapter, but functions the same.

Well I don't know what you like to call them now, but they were always called markers before, and they still do the same job which is to add delete/trim sections, and always were the places where "split by markers" used to split the video.

So there was an option "split by markers" which referred to the markers used to delete/trim sections, and the same MARKERS still do the same job, but you say "there are no markers now"? So you have changed their names too just to confuse everyone, or in fact are they STILL MARKERS, and work as they did before.... you are just getting yourself confused.....
12.07.11 02:30:40

Delete/trim is separate feature which is not connected with splitting.

I apologize for not explaining new functionality clear. I will just explain how to perform split.
You should do it in the following way.

1. Set Chapters using Add Chapter option, see the screenshot attached.
2. Select Split by Chapters option in Advanced settings of AVS Video Converter.
3. Click Convert Now and you will get video splitted at chapters positions.

Best regards.
19.07.11 03:49:09
Vlad:

Delete/trim is separate feature which is not connected with splitting.

I apologize for not explaining new functionality clear. I will just explain how to perform split.
You should do it in the following way.

1. Set Chapters using Add Chapter option, see the screenshot attached.
2. Select Split by Chapters option in Advanced settings of AVS Video Converter.
3. Click Convert Now and you will get video splitted at chapters positions.

Best regards.

I KNOW HOW THE PROGRAM FUNCTIONS NOW! I AM SAYING I DON'T LIKE THE REMOVAL OF THE 'SPLIT BY MARKERS" FUNCTION! THE SPLIT BY CHAPTERS IS NOT THE SAME!

I DO NOT LIKE HAVING TO REPEAT MYSELF, SO PLEASE READ MY RESPONSE CAREFULLY, AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT MARKERS' SPLIT BY MARKERS LET SOMEONE ELSE WHO DOES RESPOND!

Well I don't know what you like to call them now, but they were always called markers before, and they still do the same job which is to add delete/trim sections, and always were the places where "split by markers" used to split the video.

So there was an option "split by markers" which referred to the markers used to delete/trim sections, and the same MARKERS still do the same job, but you say "there are no markers now"? So you have changed their names too just to confuse everyone, or in fact are they STILL MARKERS, and work as they did before.... you are just getting yourself confused.....

HAving to add MARKERS to trim/delete and CHAPTERS is twice the work that! Only MARKERS and SPLIT BY MARKERS was required before.
19.07.11 07:02:49

We apologize if changes in interface have caused any inconvenience. I will forward your feedback to our developers, perhaps split by markers option will be returned in one of the next versions of AVS Video Converter exactly as it was in older ones.
24.07.11 13:19:37
Yea, I don't know why this is so complicated for such a simple function.

Why can't I just mark the range I want, call it a chaper if you want to, and export the chapters as separate clips? It is so simple a request...

I can't figure out how to 'split by chapters'... and even then, there seems to be no way to save (export) individual clips without deleting everything else around them.

Just stupid.
25.07.11 03:55:38
malagodi:

Why can't I just mark the range I want, call it a chaper if you want to, and export the chapters as separate clips? It is so simple a request...

That is the way how it works in the latest version. You just add chapter positions (see the screenshot attached) and mark Split by Chapters in Split option. Video will be splitted into separate files at these chapter positions.
Attached files:
08.08.11 23:21:14
malagodi:
Yea, I don't know why this is so complicated for such a simple function.

I can't figure out how to 'split by chapters'... and even then, there seems to be no way to save (export) individual clips without deleting everything else around them.

Just stupid.

It just shows that no real thought went into customer research or testing, they just removed the function, added split by chapters, and doubled our work for the same results.

It took at least 4 explanations (on the forum as well as in a problem ticket) to even get their first line support to even accept there was a problem, and all we get is "developers have been told, maybe we'll fix it out maybe we wont".

Not what I consider good customer support/service.
Lex
Administrator
15.08.11 12:58:35

Hello,

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
The fact is that there are two types of markers: ones designed for deleting unnecessary parts of the video only and others - for splitting video file for creating menu. Please find the detailed answer for request following the link below:
http://support.avs4you.com/SupportPage.aspx?tabId=672&ThreadID=219510

We regret any inconvenience once again.

Best regards.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  143