AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
13.01.10 21:10:31
Sir,
Is it possible to crop a video using AVS converter ? U have provided an option to crop the video equally in all directions. But hw can I crop it in only one direction ?
Thank u
Administrator
14.01.10 07:08:14
To: Ashok

Try applying the Zoom effect to your video. Under effect properties you can set center X/Y parameters, so that the video is cropped in the specified direction.

Regards
15.01.10 03:37:28
Thank u,
Thank u for ur advice. But let me to try it...... .Then, AVS Video converter is the number one video converter.Congrats for creating such an excellent product.
Ashok Chitharenjan
*SUPER*
23.01.10 01:25:35
Sorry,
This is not what I wanted. I want to remove the black borders present in a DVD movie by converting it into an AVI movie. Since the black borders
are occuring both at top and bottom, I need a cropping that will simultaneously cut the top and bottom. But your answer is about one side cropping.
Is there any other way ?
Thank u,
Ashok Chitharenjan

:-(
Administrator
25.01.10 00:55:52
To: Ashok

In this case you can select one of the AVI profiles offering HD quality, then follow Advanced > Aspect Correction and set Crop Scale to 100 percent. Please note screenshot 1 before using the cropping tool and screenshot 2 after changing the aspect.

If these settings are not efficient in your case, please attach a screenshot of the Advanced > File Information tab showing your input file parameters.

Regards
Attached files:
136.33 KB
196.49 KB
09.02.10 01:33:45
Sorry for the delay,

But I have some questions to ask.

1, The video which I am going to convet is a standard DVD Movie, which do not have HD quality. Through convertion I wont get a quality greater than the input video. So why should I waste my bits by setting an HD profile ?

Moreover, HD video is not compatable with eavery DVD players. So I cant set an HD profile.

2, I tried your method of cropping the video by setting a standard profile. By reducing the frame height, I got enough cropp. But the reduction in frame height ( from 480 to 304 ) is too much , so that the quality is worse. I cant agree with any method which spoils video quality.

3, You have asked me about input file parameters. But the videos which I am going to ripp are not from the same movie. So the file parameters and the degree of black borders on them are different. If you still want the information, I will upload them.

The operation, I mean cropping is very much complicated ( atleast for me ) in AVS Video Converter. But it is nicely handled by many other video converters, like Wondershare Video Converter ( I am sorry for mentioning that name ! ). Even many free video converters are offering nice methods for cropping the video.

I heard that AVS group is planning to release AVS Video Converter 6.5. Shall I expect anything new in cropping in our latest version ?
Thank you
Ashok Chitharenjan
Administrator
10.02.10 01:05:07
Ashok:
1, The video which I am going to convet is a standard DVD Movie, which do not have HD quality. Through convertion I wont get a quality greater than the input video. So why should I waste my bits by setting an HD profile ?
This was just an example. What you need to pay your attention to, is the bitrate of your input file. If you would prefer not to loose in quality, the bitrate of your output file must be not lower than the input one.

Ashok:
2, I tried your method of cropping the video by setting a standard profile. By reducing the frame height, I got enough cropp. But the reduction in frame height ( from 480 to 304 ) is too much , so that the quality is worse. I cant agree with any method which spoils video quality.
The quality must not get worse, as only the mattes are removed this way. If you set a larger frame height, there will be black boarders added. The major parameter which affects the quality is bitrate, as already mentioned.

Ashok:
3, You have asked me about input file parameters. But the videos which I am going to ripp are not from the same movie. So the file parameters and the degree of black borders on them are different. If you still want the information, I will upload them.
When you load multiple files into AVS Video Converter, all of your files will be converted with the same output settings. So, in your case, as the files have different aspect parameters, you'd better convert them separately choosing the frame size and cropping a particular file according to your needs. Then you can merge the created files using AVS Video ReMaker (without reencoding).

Ashok:
The operation, I mean cropping is very much complicated ( atleast for me ) in AVS Video Converter. But it is nicely handled by many other video converters, like Wondershare Video Converter ( I am sorry for mentioning that name ! ). Even many free video converters are offering nice methods for cropping the video.
Our program offers presets with standard frame size settings. If you customize frame size, we cannot guarantee that the output file will be played fine in a certain device or player. As for cropping, I will hand your suggestion along to our developers as regards adding the crop frame option allowing to set the crop area manually. Hopefully, in future it will be implemented. At the moment I cannot tell you for sure which version might include such functionality.

Kind regards
10.02.10 02:28:03
nadin:
The quality must not get worse, as only the mattes are removed this way

Of course ! . The quality wont be worse. But when the frame size reduces dramatically , I have seen some blur ( I am sorry, don't know the technical word ) at the edges of images. This was the problem !. I want to preserve the originality of the video.

nadin:
When you load multiple files into AVS Video Converter, all

I don't want to load multiple files at the same time. Merging is also not required. Actually I want to take video songs from my movie..

nadin:
If you customize frame size, we cannot guarantee that the output file will be played fine in a certain device or player.

I was ready to try it for many times.

nadin:
I will hand your suggestion along to our developers as regards adding the crop frame option allowing to set the crop area manually

Thank you very much. I will wait for that.......

nadin:
At the moment I cannot tell you for sure which version might include such functionality.

:'(

Thank you for your comments

Ashok Chitharenjan
12.01.12 02:25:40
To: Vlad

Interesting with aspect ratio not working with AVI or MKV containers!

Do you have any information on how the output crop feature work, or because it's no in AVI or MKV container it does nothing but can't be grey'd out in program as it s=doesn't seem to modify the picture at all?

Going off topic further more but not wanting to start another thread, when you use the zoom feature is there any way to do half increments as 1 seems to be too much for some & generally it's only 1 pixels or so on the left side, 2 pixels on the right side & maybe 1 pixel on the bottom row.

Thanks again Grant
16.01.12 20:13:15
To: gruntly69

Dear Grant,

I apologize for the late response.

Yes, Crop Scale does not work if you choose Original as input or if selected input aspect is the same as aspect ratio in properties of input file (see conversion options). Do you have this issue with 1440x1080 m2ts files?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to reduce increment in Zoom effect. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards.
17.01.12 21:15:22
To: Vlad

Vlad,

No worries about the response!

Yes it was the 1440 x 1080 .msts files that I was having the issues with!
But now with that patch it all seems to be sorted, I've edit a few 18gig plus 1440x1080 .m2ts files since & hasn't crashed!

Why do you ask about that size in particular, because of the out of round pixels?

If there's any testing I can do let me know, I now need to build a descent machine to edit faster!

Cheers Grant
17.01.12 21:20:27

EDIT: I think you were talking about the black border in those(1440x1080 .m2ts) files?

I that's what you were asking I will have to double check that!

I did notice last night there was 4 files created by the PVR & I had to edit each section seperate & then add them together as they recorded with different properties & put the aspect scale out!

Cheers Grant
Lex
Administrator
19.01.12 10:33:22

Hello Grant,

Please specify whether any issue with using AVS4YOU software remains.

Best regards.
20.01.12 09:23:46
To: Lex

Hello Lex,

Sorry no problems was just checking what Vlad meant, but pretty sure what I said in my edit was what he meant?

If so, no it's not a problem with avs4you more a problem with crappy recordings with PVR's & having to work around it, but a lot of OTHER encoding programs won't allow this work around!

So thumbs up avs4you!

Cheers Grant
Lex
Administrator
20.01.12 13:16:29

You are always welcome,Grant!
31.01.13 19:39:42
[QUOTE="Vlad"]To: gruntly69

Dear Grant,

I apologize for the late response.

Yes, Crop Scale does not work if you choose Original as input or if selected input aspect is the same as aspect ratio in properties of input file (see conversion options). Do you have this issue with 1440x1080 m2ts files?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to reduce increment in Zoom effect. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ok, I think the crop Scale doesn't work if you apply a rotation either. I can't get it to work on a rotated video file at all. I can get it to work on the original but once rotated the black boarders return. I have tried to crop, save then re-edit and rotate but the black borders return. There must be some combination available as MANY videos filmed on a cell phone (iPod and droid) need rotating and cropping. This should NOT be this difficult!

Cheers,

Skip Stein
31.01.13 19:44:35
I responded to another message but I think this deserves a separate subject heading.

I have a video filmed by a friend on an iPod. It needs to be rotated for viewing as these devices are too dumb to understand orientation. I can rotate the video just fine but the black boarders get larger. If I crop the original (works ok) it looks good, then if I rotate it, the black boarders re-appear. I have tried to save the cropped version and re-edit and rotate but this just re-introduces the black boarders. Cropping then does NOT function on the rotated/edited video footage.

I realize I am probably doing something wrong, but the only documentation I can find does not say anything about combination effects. I KNOW I am not the only person trying to both crop and rotate a video. HELP please!!!

Skip Stein
Nat
06.02.13 05:56:54
To: SkipStein

Dear Skip Stein,

If you rotate the video, the black bars on the sides of it will be too large for the crop scale to eliminate them.

You can try to apply a zoom effect to your video as well to select the video part you want to be shown on the created video.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards
16.03.14 13:39:42
Please create a one-post, complete, simple, step-by-step answer to a most common question. I suggest you move it to it's own topic as this thread is confusing.

Thousands of us have taken a videos on a phone that is tall and skinny. When we send it to youtube it has large black spaces on either side.
We need to Crop to make it square: Take some off the top and some off the bottom, then save as a normal square video.

Thank you!
Nat
17.03.14 06:16:57
To: markcrobinson

Dear user,

You need to apply a zoom effect to your video and select the video part you want to be shown on the created video by double clicking on the effect while on the timeline.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  3