AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
08.12.10 18:17:04
Video Editor "can't find file" when I open a project.

The project appears on the "Projects" tab in two forms: 1) Image of first scene, 2) a graphic of a clap board. There doesn't seem to be any way to reveal the full title in this case "WPWW 10-10-..." is all that is seen.

But no matter which one I click, I get an "Error" Box with Can't find file "20101010_101807.m2ts". The is the first clip in my video. My choices are "Ignore" and "Ignore All" and "Browse" (It would be nice to have a "Cancel")

'Ignore' just brings up the next clip, 'Ignore all' finds them - that is the first image of each and declares them not found. If I 'browse' and locate them (they are all in the same folder as the .vep) after each 'Ignore' - the program also declares them not found.

I produced a DVD not more than a week ago with the same files - what happened? and how can I recover?

Thanks, Alex
08.12.10 18:22:59
My error "The Clap board listing" produces a "Can't load project. It may be missing or corrupted." This is the same message I get when opening the project via the Fliles menu.
10.12.10 06:49:07
To: alexbotkin

Hi Alex,

The error can't find file occurs becuase you moved source file to another folder, different from original directory. You should use browse button to find the file in new directory (please note that you should select the exact file every time, not just the folder) and then received the project.

I hope it helps.

Best regards.
10.12.10 17:05:53
To: Vlad

Thanks Vlad. I discovered that when I opened the .VEP to see if there were any treasures. I don't recall doing it, but apparently in a fit of housekeeping I attempted to organize my files.

So, If one wants to move files and folders is there a simple way to do that or must one edit the .VEP?

Browsing to the new folder location did not work. Apparently it wants the full original path to the files.

Alex
13.12.10 05:08:47

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no speciall way to move files and folders, so you will have to edit vep files if you would like to move your files.

We recommend to locate all source files for the project in one certain folder before importing into AVS Video Editor, so that you could move them easily if you need.

Regards.
05.03.11 16:17:55
Hi,

I have the same problem and would like to fix. I re-pathed the "FILE NOT FOUND" for my images and sound file in the hopes the VEP can be repaired but so far no luck. Mind you, the re-pathed files were in a separate folder.

Next, as you suggested, I relocated all the files into one single folder in the hopes the VEP would automatically find them and reinstate the blank spots and blank overlays current in my VEP. Still no luck.

Reading through your latest reply Vlad I cannot locate the "browse button" you refer to in one of your replies. Please clarify as I've had to "re-import" the files and delete those ones w/ the FILE NOT FOUND. Also, right-clicking on the missing image does not allow for any action other than "Delete, Rename, Select All"

Can you fix it on your end ?

Words of comfort and advice would be greatly appreciated.
05.03.11 23:37:36

I think this answers one of my questions. MY VEP file and all the source files are in one folder. Are you saying that if I move that folder to a different drive and access that VEP file from the new location it will find the source files that are in that same folder that was moved? (otherwise storage of projects I am not currently working on represents a problem.)

Phil
05.03.11 23:39:27

Is there a way to edit VEP fiels without doing all the editing work over again? In particular can VEP files be edited so as to locate the source files they were using?

Phil
07.03.11 04:26:04
To: billyjobob

Hello,

To solve the problem load missing files using Browse button in the message then re-save the project. Do you get the same message as in the screenshot I've attached?

Regards.
Attached files:
07.03.11 04:39:00
To: philmanf

Hello,

If you re-locate source files for vep project, they will not be loaded automatically even if vep file re-located as well. The advise for you is the same as for others - you should load missing files using Browse button and then re-save the project. It is also useful to export and then re-import media library files when re-locate them (see File menu in AVS Video Editor) .

I hope it helps.

Best regards.
11.03.11 13:44:10
Vlad,

Thank you for your reply. My error message differs from yours as I don't have the 'browse' button option - refer attached. As previously mentioned in earlier post I've co-located everything back into one single folder but still no luck.

What should we try next ?
14.03.11 06:24:38

As far as I can see you do not even get the error "Can't find file". Perhaps, your project is not loaded not because of the source files. Could you please attach your project file once again, your first attachment was broken.
15.03.11 07:29:56
Dear Vlad,

That's correct. The only error message is the one which tells me of a "missing or corrupted file". Even though it doesn't state "can't find file", I take the message to mean the same thing so not sure what your reply meant here.

The attached .VEP file is a re-do of the original. This project loads up but still has most of the blank spots missing. (I had some problems uploading and for some reason your server kept numbering my file automatically even though I had deleted it, hence the "Deb's Dad_2.vep").

I've also re-uploaded the original .ZIP file which contains all the source files EXCEPT the .AVI movies. Naturally these are much larger than your 10mb allowance.

Thanks and fingers crossed !
Attached files:
17.03.11 07:25:10
Sorry, but cannot download your attachments again. Which software do you use to create zip archive? Vep file also should be zipped for attachment.
18.03.11 00:08:05
I used WinZip 12.0.

Have redone everything as a WinRAR archive.
Attached files:
4290.72 KB
18.03.11 06:18:57

Thanks. I've corrected the project, please re-download it and media library from the attachments.
First of all, please reinstall AVS Video Editor using the instructions here. Re-download it's latest version from this link.

Now you should create new folder on your local drive C and name it Project Folder, so that your directory for source will be C:\Project Folder. Then copy all the files into it including avi video file. After that open AVS Video Editr, import corrected media library file into it and then open corrected project. Please inform about the results.
Attached files:
19.03.11 04:39:29
Vlad, first off, thank you for your assistance. I very much appreciate your help.

I did as you instructed, following the directions to the letter, however, I am not sure what's been corrected as the blank video spots are still there as well as missing image and music overlays.

Having downloaded your Project Folder.zip file containing Deb's Dad.vep and Medial Library.vec, I'm not sure what's been changed/ corrected as it still looks to me like nothing has changed from my initial request for help back on March 5th. Am I doing something wrong ???

I've attached various screen shots - please advise as to next steps.
21.03.11 05:55:39

I've corrected media library files and the paths to files in your project file. However, as far as I understand you've re-saved your project even when some files were not loaded into it. So, they are not a part of the project now. I can't see any audio files or picture files in your project. I just can advise you put these missing files to Timeline again.
28.03.11 23:03:59
But when I locate *all* the files in the *same* project folder using the *old* .VEP file (in other words, the one previous to the re-saved one you speak of), why aren't the media library files picking everything up ?

Example: the .AVI correctly picks up in some spots but as I've shown you in other spots nothing shows, even though it's the *same* .AVI file that the editor correctly finds.

What's up with that ?!

I've attached the music file to see if you can re-insert or re-path or re-do something so that I can keep what hair I have left on my head.

Thanks in advance !
29.03.11 04:51:13

Old Media Library has old paths to media files which are not valid.

Sorry, but I've corrected all the paths to media files in the project file you sent. Seems that you've re-saved project file incorrectly and files with not valid paths are missing now. The only way to correct the problem - import and place files on Timeline anew as you did it before.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  49