AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
11.02.11 21:00:38
This is my first post; please advise if I'm in the wrong area -- thanks!

I wrote you a query several days ago with the support form -- no response as of yet.

As a former programmer, I know the value of supplying you with as complete documentation of the problem as I can. The following notes outline my trials with AVS Video Editor in attempting to create a DVD from VOB files (mini-DVD discs from a camcorder). The problems I encountered involve DVD Menu creation, and audio/picture synchronization problems. If you need additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Using AVS Video Editor -- Version: 5.2.1.170
Windows XP Home Edition w/service pack 3
project used VOB files in 16:9 screen ratio

Imported Files:

Three camera mini-DVD discs

each camera mini-DVD disc includes --
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB

In order to facilitate proper placement in the timeline and to avoid confusion, the camera mini-DVD files were copied and renamed to:

three mini-DVD discs (6 VOB files total) --
VTS_01_1.VOB renamed to Disc_One_VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB renamed to Disc_One_VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB renamed to Disc_Two_VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB renamed to Disc_Two_VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB renamed to Disc_Three_VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB renamed to Disc_Three_VTS_01_2.VOB

1st DVD Build Attempt --

All 6 mini-DVD files imported into program
DVD Menu was created properly and worked fine
However, every other VOB file (starting with the second file) from timeline assembly had picture/sound out-of-sync

Following the 1st build attempt, I used VOBMerge to combine all camera disc files, hoping that this would solve the picture/audio synchronization problem --

The following file created using VOBMerge program (consists of all 6 mini-DVD camera files)

TEST_Master_Combined_Disc 01 thru Disc 03_VTS_01_1.vob 4,174,848 KB

notes -- 1) tried using "Detect Scenes"
2) decided not to go with that method
3) could not "unmark" scenes (i.e., could delete all individual scenes, but file
still displayed scene detection symbol in upper right corner of thumbnail)
4) even after deleting and re-creating VOB file, as well as uninstalling and
reinstalling Video Editor, Video Editor marked it as a file that had been run
through scene detection -- had to rename file to obtain "clean" version in program
5) is there a global configuration file that tracks file creation/utilization -- can it be
reinitialized?

2nd DVD Build Attempt --

All 6 mini-DVD files merged into a single VOB file, then imported into program; single VOB file was split into five segments to include scene transitions

"DVD Menu Enabled" button was set to Enabled position, but --
DVD Menu was NOT created (VIDEO_TS.VOB file shows up as empty)

However, no picture/sound synchronization problems

3rd DVD Build Attempt --

All 6 mini-DVD files merged into a single VOB file, then imported into program; single VOB file was split into five segments to include scene transitions

"DVD Menu Enabled" button was toggled several times -- left set to Enabled position, but --
DVD Menu was NOT created (VIDEO_TS.VOB file shows up as empty)

However, no picture/sound synchronization problems

In Windows Explorer -- output DVD shows --

VIDEO_TS.VOB file shows up as empty

VTS_01_1.VOB created normally and playable
VTS_01_2.VOB created normally and playable
VTS_01_3.VOB created normally and playable
VTS_01_4.VOB created normally and playable

Hopefully, you can shed some light on what is happening here -- these seem to be bugs.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!
14.02.11 04:36:13
To: drcoaster@aol.com

Hello,

First of all we recommend to open VIDEO_TS.IFO file from dvd disc which contains the whole dvd structure and allows to load the whole dvd. You can find the details how to convert DVD's with our software here. You should also play this file from resulted DVD to see built DVD menu. Also, please note that DVD menu will not shown if you did not set any chapter in it.

Best regards.
14.02.11 13:58:01
To: Vlad
Thanks for your reply....but I think I've discovered what the cause of the problem is.

Shame on me....this is what happens when I try to run your latest version on a slightly underpowered system. When I first bought the AVS Video Editor in 2009, my hardware exceeded its requirements. Now that I've uploaded your latest version, my system's hardware is slightly less than optimum. In my recent project, I apparently jumped the gun, and clicked on the "Create Movie" button before the menu creation routine of the program had finished running (the rotating icon on the preview screen was still present). This evidently resulted in an empty menu file being created. When I repeated the process, this time waiting until the menu had completely finished being created, everything worked fine.

Here's just a thought....if the program's source code is modified to include a "check switch" that would prevent the Create Movie button from being activated until the Menu creation subroutine (or any other program subfunction) has completed execution, it would prevent the type of error that I encountered.

I know....maybe it would just be easier if I upgraded my hardware....and I will....when my budget allows.

As I stated, when I adopted my new methodology everything worked fine....except....(sorry)....

Now that I have a DVD with a working menu, I have noticed a few quirks --

The original camera discs were in the 16:9 format. In the program, the chapter thumbnail images are also shown in 16:9 format, but, on the output DVD, the chapter thumbnail images display in 4:3 squeezed ratio, as if viewing a 35mm anamorphic print.

Also, when using a 16:9 ratio image for the menu background, the program properly displays the entire contents of the picture. However, on the output DVD, the image is obviously "overscanned", and displays less than the complete image. I tested this on my high definition TV and DVD player with an HDMI connection, which I know, from experience with DVD calibration discs, will display the image out to the very last pixel -- no overscan.

Hopefully, these notes will help you in the next release....thanks for listening and your help!
14.02.11 14:26:01
Hello again

In your reply, you mentioned details on how to convert DVDs....but I did not see any link, or any operating link. Can you steer me in the proper direction?

Thanks again!
16.02.11 05:50:54
To: drcoaster@aol.com

Sorry, here is the link on how to convert DVD's. There you can find information about DVD structure and how AVS software work with it. AVS Video Editor works with DVD's in similar way.

Good news that you managed to solve the problem. However, we cannot repeat the problem with DVD menu. If you create menu, then click Produce to save video, menu is always created.

Thanks for finding the issues conserning aspect of images used in DVD menu, we will test them and correct in the next version.

Best regards.
12.04.11 16:21:18
I've been trying to convert a 27.7GB AVI uncompressed file (720x480; 29.97 fps; audio PCM : 1536 kbps, 16 bit) of 02:11:06 h. into a Mpeg-2 NTSC file. It worked, although arriving at 91% of the conversion, it became incredebly slow and my computer was lagging. I let it go for the night and in the morning it was succesfully converted. Unfortunately, when I watched it, I realized that, at approximatively 02:00:00, the sound becomes to desynchronize. I tried to export the audio only and at 91%, it begins to lag also. Help.

Thank you
13.04.11 07:26:54
To: Jomat66

Please check your source file. Does not it have sync problem or any other defect after 02:00:00?
17.04.11 10:40:32

No it doesn't. But it appears to be damaged, for I tried to copy it on another hard drive and the process ended in error at approx. 90%. I guess the problem is there? If so, can I do anything? If I can't, tank you very much for your time.
19.04.11 04:04:00
To: Jomat66

Hello,

The file seems to be damaged at certain point - 02:00:00 time (or 90%). You may try to cut this point in AVS Video ReMaker (it does the job without reconverting) and then reconvert resulted file. Perhaps it will help.

Regards.
28.04.11 02:01:24
Greetings,

I'm using AVS converter version 7.1.3.484.

I'm having ongoing intermittent audio/video sync errors converting files from FLV to AVI/MP4.

The source FLV files are all just over 50 mins duration.

The original FLV's are synced but the resulting AVI/MP4 (I tried both..) files are not.

This has been happening often with long files.

If you need further details please let me know.
28.04.11 02:42:33
System info attached - I'm running xp + 7 (dual boot). The problem seems to happen on both opsysms.

Thanks!
Attached files:
02.05.11 07:43:08
To: mdr

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

Could you please give us the link to one of such flv files , so that we could test it?

Best regards.
06.05.11 23:21:08
I've had this issue on two different computers now. I have always just used another format but I really need an flv file on this project.

The input video does not matter every format tried exports with audio out of sync in flv.

No issues with avi.

AVS VIDEO EDITOR 5.2.2.173

HELP APPRECIATED! THANKS
10.05.11 07:21:38
To: Pitchin1

Hello,

Sorry for the late response.

Could you please specify which with output settings do you select when save to FLV? whith which codec? Also, where do you play resulted files? in what player?

Regards.
12.05.11 06:19:49
I have the same issue - Video converter v7.1.
Please help
05.10.11 08:07:17
I'm not sure what the problem is exactly but I've confirmed it is a AVS only problem as I can play these fine with Zoomplayer and Media Player Classic. I have several different mkv files all that use the FLAC libavcodec and AVS programs are taking 4-8 seconds to start the audio. This causes a out of sync with all of these video files and therefore they are unwatchable using the AVS media player or convertible using AVS video converter. I even tried running it through the audio converter and playing it through there but again yielded the exact delay.

I have full updated and reinstalled all portions of AVS so that's now the problem. I noticed that for some reason the Video Converter lists it as a unknown name codec yet it can play it fine but just delays the playing of the audio by x seconds. Normally I would just say meh and watch them with another player but I actually want to convert these and the audio sync problem makes it impossible.
09.10.11 09:27:29
To: CecilMcneil

Hello,

We need one such mkv files to test the problem. Please upload it to our ftp-server, the insturctions will be sent in our support system.

Best regards.
03.10.11 14:09:01
Hello, I am a college English professor and I am ripping commercial movies for a small video presentation I am doing for my colleagues. This is totally on the up-and-up, and is not for profit in any way, shape or form.

I am having trouble with my audio-video sync after I convert files using AVS Video Converter. I am not sure why, since I did this perfectly last year.

I am ripping movies using DVD Decrypter, which are fine once ripped, perfectly in sync. However, when I convert the files from VOB to AVI or WMV, I end up with audio-video sync problems.

Is there a way to fix this, or a better procedure for what I'm doing? I don't understand why it worked perfectly six months ago, using the same exact programs, and now is having problems.

Please Advise & Thank You,
CharmedLife417
04.10.11 13:47:08
To: charmedlife417

Hello CharmedLife417,

Please make sure that you have the latest version AVS Video Converter 8.0 which can be downloaded from this link. Most sync bugs have been fixed in it. If you have older version I would recommend you to reinstall old software following the instructions here.

Best regards.
06.10.11 10:21:46

Hi, I'm also having the same problem. I'm on the latest version, and most have converted fine, however 1 dvd i'm trying to convert to avi is out of sync by 1.6 seconds from start to finish. The audio plays too early. Playback on the DVD is fine. I've tried lowering the sound quality to see if that made a difference, but unfortunately it didn't. Any ideas?
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  132