AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
16.06.09 15:37:23
Dear Nadin,

Where is my original post?

This is part of your reply to my post about the Win32/Themida Virus

We have contacted AVG and here is the e-mail they have sent to us:
Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the mentioned virus on some legitimate applications. We can confirm that it was a false alarm. We have immediately released a new virus update that removes the false positive detection on this file. Please update your AVG and check your files again.

This is absolutely not true. I did as you suggested and AVG still states that the following have a Virus:
VideoRecorder
Video to Flash
Software Navigator

Now I know as well as you this COULD be a false positive. However it still prevents me running those three programmes. So assuming this is a false positive how can I get these programmes to run?
Administrator
17.06.09 01:36:56
To: JackovSpades

As AVG confirmed that the virus threat was a false alarm and updating antivirus bases solved the problem by most of our customers, we would once again advise you to 1) update your antivirus bases, 2) download the latest versions of AVS programs from our website once again and install them. We must assure you that, as a result, the programs must get installed without any threats.

Please do not hesitate to write back in case the problem still persists. We will consider taking further actions in this respect.

Best regards
30.06.09 12:27:34
Nadin,

As a long-time user and current supporter of AVS products, please take this suggestion to heart...

Right or Wrong... Certain AVS media products are triggering various Anti-Virus scanner 'matches'. This is a fact. This fact makes current and future users nervous. This fact is costing you current and future customers. To be honest, I am also nervous about this, but continue to trust AVS.

From the information I gather, AVS is working hard to keep their packages registered with the many Anti-Virus Vendors. Excellent! I also realize that this is a moving target that depends upon users keeping their patterns updated, as well as new AVS releases changing those patterns and starting the AV registration cycle each release. Yes, it is a mess, but it needs to be done. Yes, you cannot control the many 'not-so-diligent' users out there... Support can be very thankless.

As I see it, AVS has two choices with respect to managing this Public Relations nightmare...

1) ignore, deny, hide, delete references, pretend it's the world's problem (which
seems to be the current protocol). This is certain to result in mistrust and lost
customers.

2) present the reality of the situation in a well-written FAQ and forum post. Just one will do. This
needs to address that AVS has a right to copy protect their work, and acknowledge that
the mechanism sometimes triggers the AV scanners. Then outline the steps that the user *must*
take to insure successful product use in concert with their AV software. Lastly, create a simple
form where users can submit their AV software version and brand, so that AVS can continue
to register your products with the many AV pattern databases.

I like your products, but based on the Google results for AVSmedia/Themida, many of the legit download sites are being put on the defense because of the *fact* that your products sometimes trigger AV scanner hits. Let your users know why, and I believe their decision to trust and patronize AVS will be much easier.

best wishes,

--mindsong
Administrator
02.07.09 00:29:26
To: mindsong

Thank you for your comments on the problem. Actually Themida is a drm protection system which (until recently) was used in our programs to protect them against advanced reverse engineering and software cracking. Due to the problems we had with the certain antivirus program manufacturers, this component has been removed from AVS programs, so conflicts with the AV scanners should not arise anymore. Surely protection still exists, but it is not Themida-based.

The AVS programs now available on our website should not cause any virus threats, so please download the updates from www.avs4you.com (this is true for any programs offered for download on our website separately).

We have done our best to resove this problem and do hope for the understanding from our customers.

Best regards
Online:
Users:  1  davidbrownm05
Guests:  468