AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
06.11.16 21:06:05
My computer is getting a little aged, i7 960 3.2 GHZ Quad Core with 24 GB memory, and 250 GB SSD for C Drive plus a few other TBs hard disks sor storing clips. That was bought 5 years ago.

AVS never seems to make full use of the 24GB RAM, though I sometime edit up to half hour long final full HD videos with full HD clips in the tens of various lengths. And AVS does not have a 64bit version unfortunately, but may be I am wrong by now, as I my last update was probably a good half year ago.

I found playing the timeline video during editing can get out of sync and very jerky.

So I am looking round to see how current is this setup, and what is a good current hardware that can fully exploit AVS's capability with the future in mind, and improve the performance significantly if possible?

I intend to stick to SSD for C drive at least.

Any recommendation from current active and frequent users are appreciated.

Also if there are any recommendation to setup up AVS to fully exploit the hardware would be highly appreciated. I always set the cache to either a RAM disk or the SSD drive, but there appears to have little improvement.

cheers
Developer
07.11.16 11:00:34
ffrree:
AVS never seems to make full use of the 24GB RAM, though I sometime edit up to half hour long final full HD videos with full HD clips in the tens of various lengths. And AVS does not have a 64bit version unfortunately, but may be I am wrong by now, as I my last update was probably a good half year ago.

AVS Video Converter and AVS Video Editor have some limitations for memory because they are 32-bit programs. The old versions supported only up to 2 GB of virtual memory for 32-bit process in all Windows (32-bit and 64-bit). The memory usage during file opening and conversion was enhanced since AVS Video Converter v.9.3.1 and AVS Video Editor v.7.3.1. Now they support up to 4 GB of virtual memory for process in 64-bit Windows and up to 3 GB of virtual memory for process in 32-bit Windows (with some configuring by user in system settings for 32-bit Windows).
07.11.16 20:57:51
To: ffrree
What I do not understand is, while most modern hardware, especially those who are serious in Video Editing anyway, have GBs more memory in their system than the mere 3 or 4 GB that AVS is using. I am of the opinion, that memory usage is a big bottle neck.

Even using RAM disk ( 8 GB worth ) as a cache do not seem to help much. In fact, when I inspect the cache during Encoding, it does not seem to get used much, why?

That being the case, there seems not reason for me to get new hardware.

I'll now install the latest versions of AVS Video suite to see if there are much improvements.
08.11.16 20:47:29

I used SSD drive for the cache, source clips and the systems page file for testing both versions using the same clips etc. to produce a 25 min video.

That is virtually no difference if any improvement between latest and ver 7.2.1.
Nat
10.11.16 06:48:18

Dear user,

Please specify your issue: don't you get smooth playback of video files on the timeline while editing?

If this is the case please specify the format and origin of the file you use.
What cache settings you have in AVS Video Editor? Press the Edit button on the top toolbar - choose Settings - Environment - what caching option is selected?

Is caching process over when you get jerky playback on the timeline?

Thank you for cooperation.

Kind regards
23.11.16 20:02:20
To: Nat

Dear Nat,

MY system is a reasonable fast system, 24 GB Ram, Win 10 with an i7 quad core CPU, probably 3.2Ghz.

AVS is running off A SSD disk with plenty of storage for memory paging.

I tried to run the AVS cache off the SSD, RAM disk as well as SATA III drives, not a huge difference between them, probably at the most about 10 -15 %.

In fact, I examine the AVS cache, it does not seem to get use very much as all.

All my videos files are mainly off a Canon D20 camera or Gopro Hero III, some short some long, mostly less then 1 minute long clips. But when editing a whole lot of them, say 10 -20 in an editing session, playing the timeline video can be jerky, and sometime totally out of sync, ie the video frame might freeze altogehter whilst the audio is telling me it is moving forward.

Hope you can tell me some pointers to improve that.

FYI, you can also read my earlier posting in this thread for other details.
Nat
24.11.16 07:08:35

Dear user,

To avoid the problem please try to change the quality of the video preview both on the timeline and on medialibrary by clicking on the Edit button on the top toolbar - choose Settings - General tab - Preview section: choose "Low (Fastest)" in "Quality" drop down box to get the best processing speed.
Please also uncheck the option "Use original format in media library" - you will get good processing speed.

After importing the files please wait till the caching process is over - you will see yellow indication line on the bottom of the video thumbnail while in media library.

Please note that preview quality does not influence anyhow the output video quality. To get the output file of high quality please select the input file parameters like frame rate, frame size and bitrate for the output by clicking on the Advanced button after selecting the format. To check the input file parameters right click on the video in media library - choose Properties.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Kind regards
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  344