AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
08.05.15 22:00:37
I'm getting the Sony FDRAX33 camcorder. It records in Sony's XAVC S format, AVCHD and MP4. I know that I can work with video recorded in AVCHD and MP4, but what about XAVC S?

Thanks for your help. Ken
10.05.15 17:02:18
To: kendp
I just checked on your website and XAVCS is not supported by the video editor or video converter.

Is there an anticipation it will be added?

There are converters available, but I am wondering what would be the quality consequence of using another converter to put the video in a format that I can work with on the video editor.

From a quality standpoint, would it be better to shoot in AVCHD until the video editor is able to handle XAVCS? Or am I worry unnecessarily about converting it with another converter?
12.05.15 01:53:59
I've also been reading about XAVCS converters that convert it to some other foremat, but don't understand what the consequences. I hope that sooner or later someone from AVS will see these posts and shed some light on the subject.

1, I know that XAVCS is not supported by the AVS video editor now. Is it contemplated?

2. If I convert XAVCS to another formaat so I can work with it on the AVS video editor, what would be best?

3. Would converted XAVCS be higher quality than shooting in AVCHD which is supported
12.05.15 02:20:11
The XAVC Video Converter seems to be what you use

"In this case, you need to transcode the 2K or 4K XAVC footages to other kind of popular video formats like MP4, MKV, WMV, AVI, DivX, XviD, VOB, MOV, M4V, FLV, etc. for better compatibility by using XAVC Video Converter.
* Convert XAVC/XAVC-S footages to most popular video formats with original 4K/2K quality kept
* Import XAVC-S/XAVC to FCP, Sony Vegas, Premiere, AE, Pinnacle Studio and more"

AVS Video Editor is not presently on the list of programs you can import to, but I imagine that isn't important. If it can be edited on one of hee "big name" video editors I assumeit can also be edited on AVS video editor

If converted to MP4, for example, can I still work with it on AVS?

From what I have read about the converter there is a certain amount of editing you can do, like trimming and splicing clips, but if you want more than that you need to work on a video editor

Can AVS be that editor for me?
12.05.15 02:27:16
[REPLY]kendp[About XAVC
"XAVC is a recording format that was introduced by Sony on October 30, 2012. XAVC is an format that will be licensed to companies that want to make XAVC products. XAVC uses level 5.2 of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC which is the highest level supported by that video standard. XAVC can support 4K resolution (4096 * 2160 and 3840 * 2160) at up to 60 frames per second (fps). XAVC supports color depths of 8-bits, 10-bits, and 12-bits. Chroma subsampling can be 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or 4:4:4. The Material Exchange Format (MXF) can be used for the digital container format.

"You may need edit XAVC video in Final Cut Pro, iMovie and other editing software. But you can't import XAVC codec video in them. For editing XAVC video withou any problem, you have to convert XAVC video to Mac and Windows editing software compatible codec and format." /REPLY]
12.05.15 22:07:05
This is a pretty good explanation re conversion of XAVCS video converted to formats more friendly to AVS Video Editor using a XAVCS converter. The claim is that using a converter that is specific for converting XAVCS does not cause a loss of quality.

http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/xavc-video-converter.html

What i am wondering what would be the best format to convert to for further editing on AVS: .mp2, mp4, .mov .avi?

Sony is going all out to promote XAVCS, so this is something we are likely to be hearing a lot more about.

Of course the good thing is that the more popular it becomes the more video editors will support it so that conversion is not necessary. There are already video editors that support it, but rather than buying one of them, I am hoping there is a way to work with it on AVS.

I could avoid all this by just shooting in AVCHD (or MP4), but the pros say that XAVCS is better quality so I would like to try.
Nat
15.05.15 15:18:19

Dear user,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

If the video recorded have a codec that is protected, AVS software cannot be used to process the video.

To get the video of the best quality available you need to select the input file parameters like frame rate, frame size and bitrate for the output. It does not matter which file format you choose.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Kind regards
16.05.15 20:29:43
Nat:

Dear user,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

If the video recorded have a codec that is protected, AVS software cannot be used to process the video.

To get the video of the best quality available you need to select the input file parameters like frame rate, frame size and bitrate for the output. It does not matter which file format you choose.

Kind regards

Nat, XAVCS is not protected. Sony is the developer, it is open source, and Sony is hoping it becomes widely used. It is already being used by a number of cameras and even cell phones

An increasing number of video editors are supporting it, including moderately priced Corel Video Studio X8 Pro and Ultimate. Here is what Corel says is new to X8 Pro and Ultimate

"XAVC S support

"Work with XAVC S, a new standard for video cameras based on MP4-AVC/H.264, and get support for resolutions up to 4K 3840 x 2160"

Will AVS be supporting XAVC S? It is presently not on the list of what you support.
Nat
19.05.15 12:56:28

Dear user,

Unfortunately we cannot tell you if the file format will be supported and how soon.

We'd greaty appreciate if you could send the file to our FTP server so we could pass it to our developers team.

I have send the information on how to upload the file to our FTP server via AVS Support System.

Kind regards
19.05.15 15:45:02
To: Nat
I received the information sent by email.

By file, do you mean a video clip?

Thanks, Ken
20.05.15 01:42:48
I got the camera today and shot my first clips. The recording formats are XAVC S 4K (3840x2160), XAVC S HD (1920x1080) and AVCHD (1920x1080). I knew I could AVCHD with the AVS Video Editor and was happy to find I can also edit XAVC S HD since there is more detail than in AVCHD. Comparing bitrate between the two, AVCHD was about 2600 and XAVC S HD about 5200.

I've also downloaded a XAVC S converter to see what happens when I convert XAVC S 4K/
20.05.15 02:17:55
I should also have said the file size of XAVC S HD is about double that of AVCHD, which may be a reason to shoot in the latter
20.05.15 22:21:34
Good news. I shot XAVC S 4K, a very short clip but a huge 443 MB file. When I tried to open it, I got messge that "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

Using a XAVC converter (I was trying the Bigsoft converter but there are other) i converted the file to MP4, which I had no trouble playing or loading to AVS Video Editor.

The quality of the video was stunning. even though the size of the file is now far smaller.

The conversion is an extra step, but worth it now that i have seen the result.

Of course that is just one. I will be shooting more and update this report after more video is shot and converted.

To shoot XAVC S, you must have a big card, at least 64GB, because the files are so big, and it must SDXC UHS-I
Nat
21.05.15 12:46:12

Dear user,

Thank you for the detailed information.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards
21.05.15 16:50:25
To: Nat
Since I mentioned using the *** Video converter, I should also report that I am now using the *** Video Converter instead. I am getting much higher quality conversions with it.
Nat
22.05.15 15:27:23

Dear user,

According to forum rules you are not allowed to post information about third party software.

Thank you for understanding.

Kind regards
28.07.15 16:12:14

Not a good one Ken. Every software has its strength and weaknesses. You just need to find one that best fits your needs.
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  35