AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
18.04.14 20:50:29
I am getting a new Sony camcorder. What I have read about it says that it "uses the AVCHD compression format (up to 24Mbps) to record high definition video. The 60p mode records at an even higher 28Mbts using STD: MPEG2-PS".

I hope there is someone who can tell what this all means in order for me to edit and publish a high quality high definition video 1920x1080 60p using the AVS Video Editor.
18.04.14 20:19:42
I'm getting a new Sony Camcorder that uses AVCHD to record high definition video. It also has Mpg4, but less quality intended for posting on YouTube, etc.
(Not a surprise since Sony along with Panasonic were the originators of AVCHD.)

This will be my first experience working with AVCHD. My other camcorder, a Canon, records high definition in both formats and I have been using Mpg4.

From what I have read, it is my understanding that I can edit the AVDC clips on the video editor in the same way as I have been Mpg4 clips. What I wondering is when I am ready to publish, is there a best format in order to maintain to the extent possible the quality of the video?
Nat
23.04.14 08:06:45
To: kendp

Dear user,

Your camera gives you the opportunity to record video in 2 modes:
the first one - AVCHD can be used to record high definition video,
the second - to record video of lower quality but longer in time.

If you need to record the highest possible quality - use AVCHD - note that it would take more computer space.

To get the created video of best available quality after editing it in AVS Video Editor please try to select the input file parameters like video bitrate, frame rate and frae size to be the same for the output, to do it press the Advanced button after selecting the format. To check the input file parameter right click on the file while in AVS Video Editor - choose Properties.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Kind regards
24.04.14 23:32:04
Thanks for responding.

I have been reading in other forums that in order to edit avchd you first have to convert it. But that didn't seem right since AVS Video Editor includes Avchd on the list formats that it supports.

I read what you are saying that I can load avchd video clips just like I do Mpeg4 clips from another camera, edit them, then publish them using the same process as I do with Mpeg4.

Is that correct?

Your point on using the bitrate, frame rate, etc, and the ability to get the input parameters by clicking on properties is very helpful. I have been using the same frame rate, but arbitrarily using 15,000 for the bitrate. In the future I will check properties.

Again, please confirm or correct me on being able to work with avchd just like I do Mpeg4 clips.

(If that is true, and i hope it is, I don't understand why so many people seem to get up tight about shooting avchd.)

(PS: One of my problems is that I don't like to shoot photos or video in anything but he highest quality available.)
Nat
25.04.14 08:36:43

Dear user,

In answer to your questions:
kendp:
I read what you are saying that I can load avchd video clips just like I do Mpeg4 clips from another camera, edit them, then publish them using the same process as I do with Mpeg4.

Yes you are right, but please use INDEX.BDMV files ffrom BDMV folder on your AVCHD files structure.

Should you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards
25.04.14 21:02:06
I tried one before reading your message and now wonder why I didn't try this sooner rather than be put off by all the negative stuff I have read on the internet about AVCHD. It was no different than Mpeg4 with a different camera, but the results were even better using AVCHD.

It it is tiny bit more trouble to move the file from the SD card to the Faststone Image Viewer to get it on my computer since the Canon Image Browser doesn't recognize it, but easily worked around by opening the SD card in Faststone and copying the file to Faststone.

I clicked on the drive (K) to open the SD card, clicked on Private, clicked on AVCHD, clicked on BDMV, clicked Stream. It was the latter I copied to Faststone.

I then loaded the file in the video editor, made a few adjjustments, and clicked on Produce. clicked on File, Using H.264/AVC I clicked on Advanced and changed the bitrate to 28000+ that i got from poperties and the frame to 29+. The actual original frame rate was 59, but 30 is the top option on the converter.

I am very pleased with the result and wondering why I didn't try one sooner.

If you see anything I should have done differently, please let me know.
Nat
29.04.14 08:46:23

Thank you for the feedback.

You can share the video with us on AVS4YOU Facebook page and win a licence.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Kind regards
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  70