AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
10.03.12 18:40:09
Hi there. Though this is my first time posting to the forum I have been a long time user of AVS products (since 2009). Since finding out the other day that DVD Authoring was discontinued (bumbed out, but I understand why) I do have some ideas for enhancing Video Editor.

It would be nice to have a 100% customizable DVD menus. In Authoring you could add custom backgrounds (video or images) for the main page and chapters, but in Editor you are limited to the stock DVD menu package.

The next thing would be 100% control of font faces, sizes, and colors. There is no way to change the default fonts in anyway on those stock DVD menus. All you can do is add the text to the title of the main menu, and the individual chapters (also re size the boxes). In the normal editor (not using the DVD menus) these options are available. And from what I can tell if don't use a DVD menu it'll just be a boring linear video slide show.

Sticking with the DVD menus topics. One feature on the high end professional programs is the ability to create different audio sections (2.0 stereo, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround and commentary track). So just like the pro programs, when a user presses the audio button on their DVD remote (or go through the menu) it'll toggle through whatever audio feature they are given.

One final thing would be to add a bonus section. Most DVDs and Blu Rays that are professionally produced give those options:

So for the hierarchy it'd be.

MAIN MENU
CHAPTERS
PLAY
AUDIO (OPTIONS or SETTINGS not displayed unless something is created for that section)
-- 2.0 Stereo (Optional)
-- 5.1 Surround (Optional)
-- 7.1 Surround (Optional)
-- COMMENTARY (Optional)
BONUS FEATURES (Optional)
-- Making of (Optional)
-- Outtakes (Optional)
-- Bloopers (Optional)
-- Photo Gallery (Optional)

The timeline in the DVD create section of Video Editor should reflect this. I've used Video Editor to create simple promo reels for YouTube, and you can add multiple lines for pretty much all the layers. But in the DVD menu creator it is VERY limited as far as I can tell. These options would make our DVDs look VERY professional.

Granted I'm sure the coding for this might be cost prohibitive, but these enhancements could/would make AVS Video Editor able to stand up with the high end programs used in the industry. Obviously the more that is added the glitchier programs can become (especially first generation versions), and patches can make it worse. And it's true these added features people would have to create full featured DVDs on DL DVDs (which are getting scarce thanks to Blu Ray) or convert to Blu Ray altogether (which is VERY expensive with, and not everyone out there has switched to Blu Ray players). 4.7GB DVDs don't go very far.

I hope my wording has made sense, or has inspired you all. If what I have mention IS available (the custom DVD menus, and features I mentioned) in Video Editor please let me know in detail how to accomplish this.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.
Lex
Administrator
11.03.12 07:18:30
To: kjemradio

Hello,

Thank you for such detailed and precise comments. Your suggestions will be put forward to our developers.

Best regards.
28.04.12 15:11:24
To: kjemradio

Nicely done bud. I like the ability to create different audio sections. People with 5.1 or non 5.1 systems would hugely benefit on this.
Lex
Administrator
29.04.12 07:05:07
To: peleus

Hello,

Please be advised that it is possible to save the edited video with 5.1 sound for some formats (if they support PCM or MPEG 2\4 audio).

Click the Produce button and switch to the File tab (AVI/WMV/MOV) In the Audio Codec section choose PCM (MPEG 2\4) and in the Channels drop-down box select 3/2+LFE 5.1 Surround if available -> Next - Create.

Please let us know if we could be of any further assistance.

Best regards
Online:
Users:  2  alisawilson, micle jack
Guests:  657