AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
07.01.10 12:20:49
I purchased the license for AVS software and have had a lot of praise for the Audio Editor. And no crashes.

The Video Editor 4 seems to be a pretty good program when it doesn't restart my computer so often - and it crashes too many times, sending my computer into the long process of rebooting. The crashes so far seem to be when I first invoke the program to load. It doesn't always crash when I start the program, but way too many times it does.

My machine is XP.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert Graham
Washington state, USA
or
46º 28' 28" North
122º 56' 44" West
http://seventhorder.c-corp.net/
Administrator
08.01.10 01:14:20
To: Robert Graham

Do you get any errors? Could you attach screenshots.
Also specify the exact moment the program crashes and describe your actions in more detail.

Looking forward to hearing from you
09.01.10 11:08:31
To: nadin

Sorry it's taken so long in getting back - had a little trouble with passwords.

No errors. I click to run the program, the screen goes black, my computer restarts.

I don't know that a screen shot of the sequence would be possible.

Robert
09.01.10 12:10:09
A few minutes ago I loaded the Video Editor and it came up fine.

To satisfy my curiosity I exited and reloaded. Again it came up fine.
Sticking my neck out again, I exited and reloaded.
- Screen goes black
- computer reboots.

Robert
Administrator
11.01.10 04:16:43

This problem might be caused by external codecs installed on your PC which are not controlled by our software or a virus.
Try switching the codecs off using the .reg files attached.

Close all AVS applications, unzip and run AVIExternalCodecsNo.reg file (click Yes). Then try to launch AVS Video Editor.
If your computer is not restarted, the problem was indeed caused by external codecs.

To switch them on, use AVIExternalCodecsYes.reg.

Regards
14.01.10 17:05:07

Thank you very much for your interest in getting this worked out.

I downloaded both files.
- unzipped the No file and ran it.

- ran the Video Editor,
---the computer screen went black, the computer spent the next five minutes rebooting.

- successfully ran the Video Editor three times in a row,
---then the computer screen went black, the computer spent the next five minutes rebooting.

- ran the Video Editor,
---immediately the computer screen went black, the computer spent the next five minutes rebooting.

- unzipped the Yes file and ran it.

- ran the Video Editor,
---the computer screen went black, the computer spent the next five minutes rebooting.

I then wondered if there was something in the project that might be doing this. After a number of running/crashing/rebootings I finally got into the Video Editor and made a new project - with one simple picture. Exited the program.

- successfully ran the Video Editor two times in a row,
---then the computer screen went black, the computer spent the next five minutes rebooting.

I'm doubtful that a virus is the problem. I use a licensed version of Avast! AV. Too, this is the only program that does this.

Right now, I'm at the point where I really don't want to spend much more time waiting for the computer to reboot until the program runs, just to use the program.

The program apparently isn't causing this problem with others, or if it is, they haven't reported it on this forum.

I'm still hoping someone can help me get the Video Editor working.

Thanks again.

Robert
14.01.10 21:25:07

If it's only with THIS program .... nevermind ! :-D

BUT, ... did you ever consider your display card defective?

OR, it could also be slightly loose in the socket.

I've seen computers do strange things when either the display card or even power supply are faulty, intermittently.

if it's a desktop unit, and kind of old, dust and normal vibrations can also loosen, or slightly oxidize the power supply connector pins, to the mother-board, making intermittent bad power connections.
(the largest multi-pin thickest cable from the power-supply to the main board)

even my own computer (from 1999 *eyeroll* ) needed some "swaying" of the connector to move the pins, so it could make a better connection to the main boards power socket, then push it back down to re-seat it firmly.
(or even remove the socket, and look to see no oxidation on the pins)

if your computer is from around 2000 to 2003 or 4, it could have a fault caused by defective electrolytic capacitors (counterfeit) that went bad under heavy load and gave the same results of rebooting by itself intermittently.

It was all the talk at water cooler back then, about how someone stole an incomplete formula for a companies electrolytic capacitor, and thought it was finished, so they manufactured hundreds of thousands of them and sold them to the electronics industry. I know someone who had a computer with these caps, and it booted all by itself, without notice.

IF your computer is from back then, you can see the bad caps by looking for the tops of them to be bulged, like it's puffy, and may also be on the bottom with stuff leaking out. What happens, is, the Electrolyte leaks and the internal posts short momentarily, under heavy current and heat, then the current "heals" them, and it starts again when the heat and current pop the electrolyte again. It may have even started to boil :) and the caps would really POP ! open.

If you have a laptop, you could also have a hairline fracture on the main board, or any other critical circuit needed for staying ON, ... making it reboot.
(I've seen a Toshiba laptop doing this, lucky it was still under warranty, the fracture was in-between the boards multi-layers)

-cheers-

-links-

what's ...

... an Electrolytic Capacitor ----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

... Electrolyte -------------------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolyte

... Vibrations --------------------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration

... Oxidation ---------------------> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/oxidation
Administrator
16.01.10 01:10:43

Actually our program cannot cause such system behaviour by itself, the only things that might account for the restart are external codecs (which are not, as we have found out), a virus (you say that the antivirus program has not detected any viruses) or files that have been imported. To check up the latter, please try doing the following:

Close AVS programs, follow Start > Run and copy-paste the following line into the field "Open":
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVSMedia\ActiveX\AVSAVIFile3.dll" /u

After that the DllUnregisterServer message will appear. Click OK. (note screenshots)

Then try to launch AVS Video Editor. If it still crashes your computer, follow Start > Run and copy-paste the following line into the field "Open":
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVSMedia\ActiveX\AVSWMVFile3.dll" /u

Try launching the program again. If the PC restarts, the problem must not caused by the files. So the only conclusion we can make is, there are some system problems on this PC.

To register the .dlls back, use the following commands:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVSMedia\ActiveX\AVSWMVFile3.dll"
and
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVSMedia\ActiveX\AVSAVIFile3.dll"

BTW, just for testing, you can also try installing AVS Video Converter and opening this program. What is the result?

Kind regards
16.01.10 13:43:01

Ok, I did each of your recommended steps. The program failed after each change - including downloading and running the Video Converter program.

Then I thought I'd see what happens if I remove the Video Editor.

And so I did.

I then downloaded the Video Editor and ran it. It worked the first time.

It died the second time I ran it.

[each time the program failed, it did so immediately after the very first start up window appears - and before the actual interface comes up.]

In the next two weeks I'll be installing a new drive and reinstalling the XP operating system. At that time I'll be vacuuming the innards and I may even swap video cards and try again.

Thanks for the help from both of you.

Robert
16.01.10 14:18:21

You're very welcome Robert, intermittent problems are the hardest to solve.

You may also want to run a memory chip test while you're at it... as well as see if the memory chips are seated in the sockets tightly.

A defective memory block may not show up as bad until a program trys to use it, so, it's also possible, in a way, this program IS causing your computer to crash, but not because of the actual programs code, but, instead, the fact the memory could have a bad block the program is trying to access.

Maybe AVS4YOU has a good memory checking utility, or knows where to get one, that doesn't just read, but also trys to write each bit to memory several times, over and over again, to test for intermittent faults.

Robert, you also mentioned it takes 5 minutes to finally boot your system, is this even when NOT running this companies software?
Unless you have so many background utilities to load, or other stuff booting within the REGISTRY at the same time, it shouldn't take that long to get WinXP running.

Or, does the computer keep rebooting until it "catches" and stays ?

I remember this happening with ME when I changed to a larger hard drive, and tried another controller with it.
After putting the Image from the smaller drive to the larger one (from a 160GB to a 360GB) the computer didn't want to start loading the OS, and just kept booting, over and over again.

I think, even when I put the first controller back it still didn't like the 360GB drive, until the 160GB was made the main drive again, with the OS.
this was the way i left it, for now.

Have you changed controllers, or drive sizes recently?

Anyway, I'll still be here, I can't wait to see whats causing this, and am sure nadin will be here too, so... Good luck, and let us know what happens.

-

** one note to the developers, I noticed, and will try to re-create, the program locked up my system when I tried to go to the edit page without having a video file loaded.

I have to make sure I didn't have another program running at the time, but, for now, ... I'm dealing with my MOM in the hospital, so, no time for the moment to try much with the computer programs.
16.01.10 22:43:59

Hi, no way to edit my last post so, i just want to clear up I was referring to the "Edit Button" in the Video Converter program, not the Video Editor program, Robert is having a spot of bother with... :)
16.01.10 22:59:29

I forgot to also mention, Robert, you may be able to check the "Event Viewer" in the Administrative Tools section of the Start Menu

Pressing the START button, highlight , Administrative Tools, then Event Viewer

you'll see a log list of system errors, application errors, security errors ... etc... you can have a look to maybe get a clue what's screwing up,
IF you can keep the system ON long enough to view it all... that is!

If i think of anything else, you'll be the 2nd to know. :)
Administrator
18.01.10 00:29:43
To: James.T.Kirk
Nice recommendations! *SUPER*

James.T.Kirk:
one note to the developers, I noticed, and will try to re-create, the program locked up my system when I tried to go to the edit page without having a video file loaded.
Is there is any regularity? If there is, please provide some more details: describe your actions, attach PC configuration etc.

Regards
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  294