AVS4You.comSupportRulesAbout Us
    ENG English    FRA Français    DEU Deutsch
16.10.09 23:13:40
I have found it is easy to trim video and mute sounds on my DVDs movies so that I can watch them with my young kids. These tasks are easily accomplished in Video Converter. And I have no problems converting the edited files and burning them to a DVD. The only problem I have encountered is choppy playback on the DVD. Choppy playback is especially evident when objects are moving in the film.

I read through the previous thread on choppy playback. It seems that video and audio bitrate are important. When the video input file comes from the original DVD and I am converting/burning to a DVD, the best video bitrate ratio I achieve is with the DVD NTSC High Quality 60/108 mins output profile. Under this scenario the input video bitrate is 9800 and the output video bitrate is 9400. Yet under these settings my output DVD file appears choppy. I thought that burning to dual layer 8.5 GB DVDs would help, but the choppy playback is still evident.

I really like the easy-to-use Video Converter software, but I am wondering if I will ever get smooth playback.

Any ideas?
18.10.09 10:51:46
To: Bubba

They are analizing one of my converted videos to see what the problems are with choppy output. I haven't heard yet if they found what the issue is, but after doing this now for 6 weeks, producing a new DVD of a football game every week, here is what I've learned.

- Most home DVD players can't handle the Long Play encoding. I'ts just not enough data for them to work with, so the video is choppy until it reads in more data.
- If you are converting to another format (such as MPG) and your output video is choppy, then I suspect what is happening is the frames are getting out of sync. I say this because I used the same editing features in Video Converter, and at one edit point the video became choppy, and after the next one it became stable again. A few more edits later it went choppy, and at the next edit point it became stable again.

Hopefully they'll find something that points to the cause of this in the file I sent them. I really love this software, but this issue makes it unusable for me right now.
18.10.09 16:29:26
To: KSum

KSum,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding your observation that most home DVD players cannot handle the Long Play encoding, I have noticed choppy playback even when playing back converted files on my desktop (a capable dual core system) . Also, regarding your observation that editing may put the frames out of sync, I have noticed choppy playback when playing a converted file that contains no edits.

I have tried many different conversions with and without edits and chapters. The latest was to customize the converter settings so that the output video bitrate exceeded the input video bitrate when converting to an AVI file and playing back on my desktop. Still choppy.

I am giving up hope that AVS4YOU is able to produce decent quality conversions. After spending some 15 hours and 50 bucks I am beginning to think that I am going to end up taking a loss here.

Please let me know if you hear some promising news about the film you sent them. I will let you know if I find something.
Administrator
19.10.09 01:10:32

Please could you attach a screenshot of the Advanced window of the program: open your original video file, choose the preset, then click on Advanced > File Information and make a screenshot.

We'll do our best to offer a solution as soon as possible.
21.10.09 13:02:54
To: nadin

Nadin,

I believe I have solved the problem. My solution is to convert/save from original DVD to a MPEG format with matching details (bitrate, size etc.) Then I edit and add chapters to the MPEG file and then burn to DVD using the highest quality output possible. The DVD output is smooth, crisp, and there is no more choppy play. A great way to sanitize movies for my young kids!

This is very good news. I choppy play going from original DVD to AVI, DVD, and WMV. But going from DVD to MPEG and then back to DVD works great.

Thanks.
Administrator
21.10.09 22:40:07

Yes, that must be better to convert preserving the original frame rate and bitrate. Great that the problem is solved now! *SUPER*
Online:
Users:  0  
Guests:  25